CSULB Office of Sustainability
The Office of Sustainability in CSULB’s Physical Planning & Facilities Management Department offers a variety of internship and student assistant positions. Student interns and assistants help with campus sustainability efforts and specific projects.
Currently accepting applications for:
Sustainability Graphic Design Internship (Fall 2021; paid, 20 hour per week position)
The Graphic Design Student Assistant will have a unique opportunity to contribute to making CSULB more environmentally, economically, and socially responsible while helping to raise awareness about the exciting sustainability programs, policies, and initiatives that already exist here at the Beach! The intern will work under the supervision and mentorship of the Sustainability Coordinator to perform the following tasks:
- Assist with the creation of marketing materials to promote and highlight sustainability programs, projects, and achievements at CSULB (including flyers, brochures, presentations, infographics, content for website and social media, educational signage and reports)
- Assist with branding of CSULB Sustainability programs
How to apply: Submit a resume, one-page cover letter, and 3-5 samples of your graphic design work to Holli.Fajack@csulb.edu. The cover letter should highlight your strengths and your interest in the position and describe what you hope to gain from the experience.
Sustainability & Zero Waste Program Internship (Fall 2021; paid, 10 hour per week position)
The Sustainability Program Student Assistant will have a unique opportunity to raise awareness about the exciting sustainability programs, policies, and initiative here at the Beach and will play a key role in providing operational support for the sustainability programs.
The Student Assistant will work under the supervision and mentorship of the campus Sustainability Coordinator, Sustainability Program Specialist and Sustainability Manager to perform the following tasks:
- Assist in implementing and facilitating Zero Waste program, including conducting building surveys, helping to install new bin systems, and helping to educate employees and students about the program
- Assist with collection and organization of data for various sustainability projects and reports
- Assist in drafting professional documents and reports
- Assist in organizing and participating in regular meetings with the Sustainability Office staff, departments, community leaders, and campus sustainability stakeholders
- Assist in communication & outreach as needed to spread awareness of campus sustainability efforts
- Assist in coordinating sustainability events: Sustainability Month, Earth Week, and Green Gen Mixer
- Assist with other duties as needed
How to apply: Submit a resume, one-page cover letter to Holli.Fajack@csulb.edu. The cover letter should highlight your strengths and your interest in the position and describe what you hope to gain from the experience.
ASI/USU Sustainability Assistant Positions
These paid student assistants develop and support ASI and USU campus sustainability programs and initiatives under the direction of the ASI/USU Facilities Director and Associate Director and the ASI Sustainability Coordinator. Check out the ASI Jobs website to see if applications are currently being accepted for this position.
ASI Lead Sustainability Assistant
Do you have what it takes to be a sustainability leader on campus? The Lead Sustainability Assistant is a one-year, part-time paid position within the USU Administration Facilities Operations division. Responsibilities are to support various initiatives in the USU, plan and execute projects that Sustain U committee suggests and serve as a student leader to Level 1 Sustainability Assistants.
ASI Secretary for Sustainability Position
The Secretary for Sustainability is a one-year, paid position within the AS President’s Cabinet. Responsibilities are to promote awareness of ASI sustainability efforts, develop sustainability strategies, and advise student government on campus sustainability efforts.
City of Long Beach Office of Sustainability
The City of Long Beach’s Office of Sustainability offers internships to students pursuing a degree in Planning, Urban Design, Environmental Science/Policy, Graphic Design, Landscape Architecture, Public Administration/Policy, Business, Geography or related field (graduate students welcome).
Meaningful change is possible when, as the saying goes, we “Think global and act local.” Volunteering is a way to give back to our local community and take an active role in restoring and protecting our local environment.