A Convseration With President Jane Close Conoley and Provost Karyn Scissum Gum
This frameset document contains:
Provost Karyn Scissum Gunn sits down with university President Jane Close Conoley to discuss repopulation, EDI (equality, diversity and inclusion) on our campus, overcoming the past year due to the ongoing pandemic and how it affected higher education. Join the conversation.
Interested in Academic Affair's Repopulation efforts? New information added weekly! For the most up-to-date information, utilize SSO to access the Repopulation FAQ for Academic Affairs.
We've updated our submission protocol for proposals for the Faculty Research Awards to promote Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (FRA-EDI) for AY 2021-22.
CSULB has been selcted as a host institution for a Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT) Campus Center with the Association of American Colleges & Universities
This prestigious award, the first in the California State University System, and the second at a public university in the State of California, clearly demonstrates CSULB’s commitment to furthering the goals of the TRHT Campus Centers.
To view the full story, click here.
The Annual Student Research Competition showcases excellence in scholarly research and highlights creative activity conducted by CSULB undergraduate and graduate students.
For more information, click here.
The ATS Learning Glass studio is now open for reservation at ATS under new COVID-19 safety protocols. The Learning Glass can be used in a variety of academic disciplines. Learn about CSULB faculty experience.
Enroll now for “Improving Your Online Course” starting November 1 through the CSU Chancellor’s Office Online Course Services (CSU-OCS) program. In this course, faculty will complete a course self-review and develop a course improvement plan based on the Quality Matters (QM) rubric- an established set of standards recognized internationally for online courses.
Sign up now for the ATS HyFlex Instructional Techniques Program starting on November 8. In this program, ATS Instructional Designers will present best practices for teaching in a HyFlex classroom to create an engaging learning environment.
November and December registration is open for the ATS "Introduction to Qualtrics" self-paced course on BeachBoard, developed specifically for CSULB faculty, staff, and graduate student assistants. The course opens at the beginning of each month.
Learn how Career Counseling appointments can now be scheduled through Beach Connect for students.
Have a question related to admissions, financial aid, scholarships, or general processes that impact students? Visit enrollment services and use the Ask Elbee chatbot in the bottom right corner of the screen. Have questions answered anytime day or night! Students can also call 562.985.5471 to talk to the Beach Central team (9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. PST, Monday thru Friday) for additional support.
The new 2022–23 FAFSA form is here! Encourage students to apply as soon as possible.
DSA now has an available BEACH Crisis Text Line - Text BEACH to 741741 from anywhere in the United States, anytime, and reach a counselor for support. This is for students and friends, faculty/staff, and parents/families acting in support of students. Connect with a confidential counselor 24/7.
Check out the Beach Wellness website or this and other student resources on campus.
Presented by the Office of Multicultural Affairs, this month is dedicated to appreciating the contributions and significance of the LGBTQ+ community.
For more event information, click here.
Academic Affairs Accolades and In the News
- Shae Miller - Trans Aesthetics and Similes of Oppression: Trans-Inclusive Discourse in Queer Spaces - Transgender Studies Quarterly
- Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden at CSULB reopens to the public - LB Post
- Megan Kline Crockett- Here’s this season’s schedule at CSULB’s Carpenter Center - Press Telegram
- Antonia Garcia-Orozco - Jenni Rivera, legendary banda singer, remembered by her native Long Beach years after tragic death - KABC - TV
- Paul Baker Prindle - ‘This is for everybody’: New CSULB museum nears completion - Long Beach Post
- Seiji Steimetz - ‘From recovery to expansion’: Long Beach economy continues to grow, experts say - Long Beach Business Journal
- Nele Hempel-Lamer - Transforming Equity Data into Collective Action - Newswise
- Christine Whitcraft - Orange County oil spill sparks race to save wildlife - Los Angeles Times - Los Angeles Times
- Richard Behl - Coastal erosion in San Clemente threatens railroad tracks, pricey homes - Los Angeles Times
- Donna M. Binkiewicz - BOOK REVIEWS: Trips across Catholic country and into Maui’s Portuguese past - Hawaii Catholic Herald
- Chris Lowe - A Shiver of Sharks - Alta Journal
- Christine Whitcraft - The Latest On The OC Oil Spill, What We Know About The Cause, Regulatory Questions And More - KPCC
- Gwen Goodmanlow - ‘Wildlife Is Dying’: Huntington Beach Oil Spill Impacting Coastal Ecosystem - CBSLA
- Christine Whitcraft - Spill Science Long Beach - Spectrum News
- Gwen Goodmanlowe - OC oil spill: Newsom declares emergency to assist cleanup efforts - KABC 7
- Kate Flach - The ‘Wonder Years’ remake resurrects a 1970 tactic to diversify TV viewing - The Washington Post
Grants and Gifts
Other News and Announcements
COVID-19 Pre-Screen Questionnaire - All faculty and staff must complete this questionnaire before any and every visit to campus. The questionnaire is accessed via CSULB Single Sign On by clicking on the COVID-19 Pre-Screen chicklet.
The next Provost’s Message will be Wednesday, November 17. Items for the upcoming message should be submitted by Friday, November 12 to email@example.com. All submissions must include a hyperlink with a title.