You are here

Scholarship FAQs

There are many types of scholarships you might be able to receive to help fund your education and it can sometimes get a little complicated. Review the answers to frequently asked questions below for help.

How do I apply for scholarships?

If you are a current student, you should review the deadlines for campus scholarships and submit an application through BeachScholarships for consideration by campus scholarships. Campus Scholarships are only available to CSULB students based on your college/major and general university-wide categories. Students tend to have greater odds in being selected for these scholarships since only CSULB students can apply. 

If you are an incoming student, we recommend using the BeachScholarships external scholarship database to search for outside opportunities advertised by organizations and businesses who award scholarships to all college students.

I'm eligible for AmeriCorps funding. What do I need to do?

In order to apply your AmeriCorps funding, you first need to submit a certification request through the AmeriCorps site for a specific semester. We receive and certify these requests within 2-3 weeks, and post the amount requested as anticipated aid on your student account. AmeriCorps funding is sent in two halves for each term requested, one half at the beginning of the term and one half at the mid-point of the term.

Where do I send my external scholarship check?

In order to have your external scholarship funding applied to your student account, make sure that your donor sends the funding to the correct office. All scholarship checks should be sent to:

California State University, Long Beach
Attention: Glorita Rosario
Student Financial Services
155 Brotman Hall
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-0103

Make sure to have your donor make the checks payable to California State University, Long Beach, and include your name and student ID on the check's memo line. The donor should also note the term for which you or they would like the funds applied (Fall, Spring, or Fall/Spring) and any enrollment requirements (full-time, half-time).

Keep in mind that all funding begins disbursing ten days before the start of each semester; so even if your donor sends the check early, you might not see it apply to your account until just before the term.

What if I have an external scholarship and I'm enrolled in fewer than 6 units?

We process external scholarship funding based on an assumption that you must be enrolled either half-time (6 units) or full-time (12 units). If you are enrolled in fewer than 6 units, your external scholarship funding will not disburse, even though your donor sent the funding to the University. If you know that you will be enrolled in fewer than 6 units, ask your donor to send along an authorization statement that you are still eligible for the scholarship even though you are enrolled less than half-time. If you have any questions about this, please call our office at 562-985-8403.

How does my funding impact my current financial aid?

Every student's financial aid package is individual and could be affected to varying degrees by additional grant funding. One thing to keep in mind is that additional grant funding is always a good thing.

In general, all financial aid is limited by two factors: your cost of attendance and your unmet need.

The cost of attendance, or budget, is the standard amount that it has been determined it costs a student to attend CSULB for nine months. This includes billed expenses, such as tuition and fees, and non-billed expenses, such as transportation and books and supplies. Aid cannot be awarded above this amount, since, theoretically, all educational expenses would be covered under the standard cost of attendance. There are exceptions that can be made on a case-by-case determination by our office. If you believe that you have significant educational expenses that are not being considered in the standard cost of attendance, you can submit a Cost of Attendance Appeal.

Unmet need is the difference between your cost of attendance and what you are expected to be able to contribute to your education (your expected family contribution). Need-based programs, such as Federal Work-Study; Subsidized Loans; State University Grant; Cal Grant; and scholarships, all must fit into your unmet need. If you receive need-based funding that exceeds your unmet need, the new funding will likely replace loans and then State University Grant or Cal Grant. 

If you have specific questions about how a scholarship affected your financial aid, please meet with a Beach Central Financial Aid Counselor by joining the queue.

How do I receive funding for research?

First explore ORSP's student funding opportunities page to see what programs might work for you. Once you are accepted into a program with funding, your faculty and program administrators will work with our office to post your funding to your student account. 

I have a stipend. When will I see my payments?

Stipends are paid in monthly installments. They will be disbursed to your account on the 20th of each month you are awarded. You can confirm the months you are receiving a stipend with your program administrator or faculty PI.