You are here

How to Apply for Aid - Graduate Students

Which application do I file?

FAFSA versus Dream Application
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) California Dream Application
  • You (the student) have a valid Social Security Number
  • You (the student) are a U.S. Citizen; Permanent Resident; or eligible non-citizen
  • You (the student) do not meet criteria to file a FAFSA
  • You (the student) meet the conditions of California AB540 status
Submit a 2021-2022 FAFSA Submit a 2021-2022 California Dream application
Eligible to receive funding from federal, state, and institutional aid programs Eligible to receive funding from CA State and CA institutional aid programs

For help on submitting a FAFSA, watch these short FATv videos

 Getting Started 2021-22

For help on submitting a California Dream application, watch these short FATv videos

How do I apply for financial aid under CA dream act


The 2021-2022 financial aid applications are now live! Submit or renew your financial aid application  between October 1 and March 2 for the following academic year. Be sure to file before the priority filing deadline of March 2 in order to be considered for the maximum types of aid. Applications submitted after March 2 will not be eligible for CA State or CSULB Institutional Grants.

Your financial aid application is used to determine your eligibility for all types of aid, and some scholarship providers may use your application information to determine whether you qualify for their awards. You must reapply for financial aid each year

Which application do I file if I'm in the EdD or DPT program?

Both the EdD and the DPT programs begin enrollment with the Summer term, which is considered to be part of the prior academic year. Financial aid for your Summer term is available, but may require completion of a separate process – including completing a separate financial aid application for the prior academic year, if one is not already on file at CSULB.

  • For the 2021 Summer term: submit a 2020-2021 FAFSA or CA Dream application
  • For the 2021-2022 year: submit a 2021-2022 FAFSA or CA Dream application

Review the Information Guide for your program, which details the process, and required FAFSA Applications, for students applying to the EdD or DPT Programs.