You are here

How to Apply - FAFSA Application (Current Undergraduates)

School Code 001139

You must reapply for financial aid, including loans, grants, and Federal Work Study employment, each year.

Your FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for Federal, California State and CSULB aid, and some scholarship providers may use your FAFSA information to determine whether you qualify for their awards.

When you fill out the FAFSA, you are applying for aid for a specific year. In order to receive aid the next year, you’ll need to submit that next year’s FAFSA. Luckily, the FAFSA website makes it easy for you by allowing you to submit a Renewal FAFSA that remembers certain information you reported the year before and places it in your new FAFSA.

Submit or renew your FAFSA  between October 1 and March 2 for the following academic year. Be sure to file before the priority filing deadline (March 2nd) in order to be considered for the maximum types of aid.

Applications submitted after March 2nd will be considered for Federal Pell Grants and Federal Direct Loans – but will not be eligible for CA State or CSULB Institutional Grants.


Eligibility for FAFSA & Federal Student Aid

In order to be eligible for funding through the FAFSA Application, you must meet the eligibility criteria for Federal Student Aid:

In addition to citizenship status, you must meet the other general eligibility criteria for federal student aid.  Review the information from Federal Student Aid for details.

PLEASE NOTE: Students who received a Social Security Number through the Deferred Action of Childhood Arrival (DACA), and who qualify for AB540, should complete the California Dream Act Application in order to be considered for state financial aid, as they are NOT Eligible for Federal Student Aid.

Gathering Documents

The FAFSA asks for important personal identification information as well as financial information. You may be asked to provide identification and financial information for your parents as well.  Details about the type of information, and documents needed to complete the application are available from Federal Student Aid.

Don’t forget that using the Renewal FAFSA on the FAFSA website makes it easier to re-apply each year; certain information you reported the year before will be placed in your new application.  Tax and income information will not be carried into your new application, so be prepared to provide that information when you complete the Renewal FAFSA. 

  • You or your parents may be able to have your tax & income information imported directly from the IRS into your FAFSA using the FAFSA’s IRS Data Retrieval Tool. 

If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, we highly recommend doing so for the following reasons:

  • It’s the easiest way to provide your tax data.
  • It’s the best way of ensuring that your FAFSA has accurate tax information.
  • If your FAFSA is selected for verification, it will be unnecessary for you to provide federal IRS Tax Transcripts
  • You will save time and avoid waiting for documents and processing

Learn more about providing financial information from Federal Student Aid.

Get an FSA ID

You’ll need your FSA ID to sign your FAFSA electronically.

  • If it’s your first time completing the FAFSA, you will need to create an FSA ID before completing your FAFSA. Find out more information and apply for an FSA ID
  • If you have completed a FAFSA previously, you will use the same FSA ID each year 

If you are a dependent student, your parent will need to use / request their own FSA ID.

Determining Your Dependency Status

Your dependency status for financial aid is re-evaluated each year, based on the new year’s FAFSA.  You will either be considered “independent” or “dependent.” Dependent students are required to include information about their parents on the application.

Even if you no longer live at home, or you file your own taxes, you may still be considered a dependent student.  By answering a few questions ahead of time, you can get a good idea of which category you fit into.  Visit Federal Student Aid’s page on Dependency Status for information on the difference between a dependent and an independent student, and to determine your dependency status for financial aid purposes.

Reporting Parent Information

If you’re a dependent student, you’ll need to report parent information on your FAFSA. Visit Federal Student Aid’s page on reporting parent information to find out who counts as your parent, what to do if you don’t live with your parents, and what to do if you don’t have access to your parents’ financial information. 

Special Circumstances: Unable to Provide Parent Information

In situations such as the ones below, you may be able to submit your application without parent information despite being considered a dependent student:

  • Your parents are incarcerated.
  • You have left home due to an abusive family environment.
  • You do not know where your parents are and are unable to contact them (and you have not been adopted).
  • You are older than 21 but not yet 24, are unaccompanied, and are either homeless or self-supporting  and at risk of being homeless.

The online application will ask you whether you are able to provide information about your parents. If you are not, you will have the option to indicate that you have special circumstances that make you unable to get your parents’ information. The site then allows you to submit your application without entering data about your parents.

Once you’ve submitted your FAFSA, you will need to reach out to our office to discuss your options – and whether or not a Dependency Override Appeal is an option.  Be sure to gather as much information and supporting documentation about your situation as you can (legal documents; letters from a school counselor, a social worker, or clergy member; any other relevant information that helps document your special circumstance).

After the FAFSA: Whats Next

Completing the FAFSA is not the last step; your FAFSA has to be processed, and then you get an Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which CSULB uses to figure out how much aid you can get. Find out more about what happens after you fill out the FAFSA, how to review your Student Aid Report and how to correct any errors.

Cal Grant Verification & Renewal of Award

Eligibility for a Cal Grant is determined each year, based on the information in your FAFSA as well as your academic history.  Cal Grants may be renewed for up to four years of full-time enrollment.

If you are currently receiving a Cal Grant, we recommend you complete your FAFSA by the March 2nd priority filing date. CSAC will automatically notify us if you are eligible to renew your Cal Grant. We will confirm your eligibility by reviewing your grade level, financial need and enrollment. We will include your Cal Grant renewal award as part of your total financial aid award package.

Students who do not currently have a Cal Grant may be required to submit a Cal Grant GPA Verification to CSAC by the March 2nd Priority filing date. 

Who Completes Your Cal Grant GPA Verification?
In order to be considered for a Cal Grant, you must have your GPA verified by the appropriate college or high school office. The following table shows which school should complete your GPA verification based on your current status. After reading these instructions, please contact our office if you have any questions.

Cal Grant GPA Verification

CSULB Current Student Status

GPA Verified by:

Transfer Students with NO units earned at CSULB as of March 1st

Your Former College

Less than 24 total college units (cumulative) EARNED as of March 1st

Your Former High School

At Least 24 total college units completed AND at least one unit EARNED at CSULB as of March 1st

CSULB (electronic submission to CSAC)

At Least 24 total college units EARNED with NO units EARNED at CSULB as of March 1st

CSULB (Paper GPA Verification Form required) (pdf)

Be sure you contact the appropriate school to have your GPA Verification sent to CSAC (by the March 2nd deadline).  More information is available on the CSAC Cal Grant page.

Are you wondering if your Cal Grant GPA has been received by CSAC? After you have filed a FAFSA, you can go on-line and check the status of your Cal Grant application by logging on to WebGrants for Students and creating an account. This secure site provides you with resources, information and tools to assist you with the college financial aid process. It will also let you view the status of your Cal Grant or Chafee Grant application, update your address, submit corrections, view your payment history, update your college of attendance, or satisfy outstanding requirements.

Missed the Priority Filing Deadline?

If you missed the Priority Filing Deadline (March 2nd), you should still complete the FAFSA Application.  Although you have missed the opportunity to be considered for CSULB and California State Grant funds for the year, there are other aid programs available to you.

In addition to the aid programs listed below, some scholarships, or private loans may require you to complete the FAFSA application to be considered.

Financial Aid Programs at CSULB that are not impacted by the Priority Filing Deadline:

  •    Federal Pell Grant
  •    Federal Direct Loans

You will have the opportunity to be considered for CSULB and California State Grants next year – when you complete the FAFSA again (you must complete a new FAFSA for each academic year).  The FAFSA becomes available every October 1st.

Be sure to complete the FAFSA prior to the Priority Filing Deadline, so that you can be considered for the full scope of funding available.