- Ph.D. in Family Resource Management (2009), the Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- M.S. in Family Resource Management (2005), Korea University, Seoul, Korea
- B.S. in Home Economics Education (2003), Korea University, Seoul, Korea
- Family Economic Well-Being
- Financial Socialization
- Goals and Motivation
- Behavioral Economics
- Cross-Cultural Comparison of Financial Knowledge and Behavior
- Mountain, T. P., Kim, N., Gutter, M. S., Kiss, D. E., Cho, S. H., and Johnson, C. L. (2019). An exploration of gender bias, framing, and student loan decisions through an experimental design. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 1-14. doi: 10.1007/s10834-019-09640-4
- Johnson, C. L., Gutter, M. S., Xu, Y., Cho, S. H., & DeVaney, S. (2016). Perceived value of college as an investment in human and social capital: Views of Generations X and Y. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 45(2), 193-207.
- Cho, S. H., Mountain, T. P., Porto, N., Kiss, D. E., Gutter, M., & Griesdorn, T. (2016). Experimental design to understand the student loan decision: A methodological note. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 45(1), 65-76.
- Cho, S. H., Xu, Y., and Kiss, D. E. (2015). Understanding student loan decisions: A literature review. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 43(3), 229-243. doi: 10.1111/fcsr.12099
- Cho, S. H., Chang, K.-L., Yeo, J., Saboe-Wounded Head, L., Zastrow, M., Zdorovtsov, C., Skjonsberg, L., and Stluka, S. (2015). Comparison of fruit and vegetable consumption among Native and non-Native American populations in rural communities. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 39(1), 67-73. doi: 10.1111/ijcs.12153
- Cho, S. H., Loibl, C., Geistfeld, L. V., and Haugtvedt, C. (2014). Motivation for emergency and retirement saving: An examination of Regulatory Focus Theory. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 38(6), 701-711.
- Griesdorn, T. S., Lown, J. M., DeVaney, S., Cho, S-H., & Evans, D. A. (2014). Association between behavioral life-cycle constructs and risk tolerance of low-to-moderate-income households. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 25(1), 27-39.
- Cho, S. H., Yeo, J., and Saboe-Wounded Head, L. (2013). Role of knowledge and risk tolerance in young adults’ financial planning behavior. Consumer Policy and Education Review, 9(3), 1-19.
- Park, S., Yoon, H. J., Cho, S. H., and Haugtvedt, C. P. (2013). Assessing the provision of nutritional information on quick service restaurant menu item choices for college students. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, 16(4), 329-346.
- Gutter, M., Hayhoe, C. R., DeVaney, S. A., Kim, J., Bowen, C., Cheang, M., Cho, S. H., Evans, D., Gorham, E., Lown, J., Mauldin, T., Worthy, S., and R. Dorman. (2012). Exploring the relationship of economic, sociological, and psychological factors to the savings behavior of low- to moderate-income households. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 41(1), 86-102.
- Hayhoe, C., Cho, S. H., DeVaney, S., Worthy, S., Kim, J., and Gorham, E. (2012). How do distrust and anxiety affect savings behavior? Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 41(1), 69-85.
- Park, S., Cho, S. H., and Yoon, H. J. (2012). The Relationship between Future Orientation, Regulatory Focus, and Need for Cognition and Healthy Menu Choices. International Journal of Human Ecology, 13(1), 171-181.
- Kim, J., Chatterjee, S. and Cho, S. H. (2012). Asset ownership of new Asian immigrants in the United States. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 33(2), 215-226.
- Cho, S. H., Kim, J., Mauldin, T., and Gutter, M. (2012). Effect of socialization and financial information source on financial management behavior among low- and moderate-income adults. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 40(4), 417-430.
- Morrison, K., Saboe-Wounded Head, L., and Cho, S. H. (2012). Undergraduate consumer affairs program needs: Employers’ perspectives. Journal of Family & Consumer Sciences, 104(1), 29-33.
- Loibl, C., Cho, S. H., Diekmann, F., and Batte, M. (2009). Consumer self-confidence in searching for information. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 43 (1), 26-55.
Accomplishments and Awards
- Outstanding Paper Award, Articles published in 2016 in the Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal (2017), American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences
- Outstanding Advisor in the SDSU Student Organization Award (2017), South Dakota State University
- Outstanding Professional in Research Award (2017), South Dakota Association of Family & Consumer Sciences
- Best Paper Award in Personal Finance (2016), Articles published in 2015 in the Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences
- Distinguished Researcher Award (2013), College of Education and Human Sciences, SDSU