Master of Arts in Dance - Admission
Master of Arts in Dance - Admissions
Prerequisites for Admission to the M.A. in Dance
How to Apply for Admission
Admission to the M.A. in Dance at CSULB Dance is two-part process. The Department accepts a new cohort into the program every three years. Application to the M.A. in Dance does not require GRE scores. For entrance Summer 2022, applications are due by December 1, 2021. For up-to-date application deadlines see our Graduate Programs and Academic Advisors page.
Applicants must apply to the University and MA Program by completing the application process detailed below.
- Complete and submit a CSULB graduate/post-baccalaureate application (requires an application fee) via Cal State Apply
- Please apply for Fall 2022.
- You will find the program listed under "Long Beach Extension".
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a degree in dance or a related field with a GPA of 2.5 or above;
- Send an official copy of the college/university transcript where the undergraduate/Baccalaureate degree was conferred to University Enrollment Services.
To Be Submitted as Part of the University Application
All required materials must be uploaded in order to submit the application. One file (.doc, .docx, or .pdf) per required element. Submission of Unofficial Transcripts is optional (see guidelines below) and may be submitted as separate files or combined into one .pdf file. The maximum file size is 15MB.
- Curriculum vitae – please include employment, education, dance training. performance, and choreography with clear indication of relevant dates. (Required)
- A 1-2 page choreography statement (11 or 12pt font) – please provide the following information: URL hyperlinks to videos of two recently produced dances choreographed by you and set on your students that show different aspects of your artistic work and choreographic knowledge and a concise statement of each work’s intent and compositional process. No more than 30 minutes of content. Videos should be posted in Vimeo (if set to private, include the password) or YouTube (set to unlisted). (Required)
- Two-page Personal Statement (11 or 12-point font, double-spaced) – please address how this graduate program will help fulfill your professional goals. (Required)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (.doc, .docx, or .pdf) – one must be from a current supervisor or colleague, to be submitted directly by the recommender. Please enter your recommenders’ names and contact information. Once your application is submitted, CalState Apply will contact the individuals listed as references in your application for admission with a request to submit a confidential letter of recommendation on your behalf. Recommenders should speak to your teaching experience, dance composition and academic skills, and/or preparation for success in graduate studies. Please let your recommenders know they should be receiving an email and to check their spam/junk mail folders if they do not see it in their inbox. (Required)
- Unofficial transcripts – if dance courses were taken at more than one college/university or if they do not appear on the transcript from the institution granting the Baccalaureate degree, please upload any Unofficial transcripts that contain dance coursework. (Optional – these can be compiled into one .pdf or submitted as separate files.)
Materials must be submitted by 11:59 pm on December 1, 2021.
Step Two: Live Audition and Personal Interview
Candidates who have fulfilled prerequisites and successfully submitted a CalState Apply University Application will be asked to participate in a movement audition and personal interview at the CSULB Department of Dance. Invitations and instructions will be sent out via email in late December 2021.
The audition will include a blended-genre dance technique and improvisation class.
The audition and interviews will be held on January 22, 2022. Please plan on being with us for the day (9:30 am to 5 pm approximately).
Acceptance to the M.A. in Dance
After submitting all application materials, those who pass the admissions review are recommended by the faculty to be admitted as either Classified or Conditionally Classified. A Classified Graduate has satisfied all prerequisites. A Conditionally Classified Graduate has outstanding prerequisites to complete. Acceptance is not complete until the applicant has received: 1) notification of acceptance from CSULB Dance and 2) a formal letter of acceptance from the CSULB Office of Enrollment Services.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.