Our requirements worksheets provide a checklist of the requirements for each major, minor, and certificate based on catalog year. Please be sure to select the catalog year that you fully declared your major. If you are unsure of when you declared, you can view your catalog term in the "Current Academic Objective" box on your Academic Requirements Report on MyCSULB. For example, if your catalog term says Spring 2019, then you are on the 2018-2019 catalog.
All pre-majors must complete specific courses and meet specific GPAs to declare their major. These are called Major Specific Requirements (MSR). These courses will be priority for your first and second year at CSULB.
How to declare your major
- Once you meet the MSR (including GPA(s)), Enrollment Services will declare you into the major.
- This process typically takes about one month after the semester ends, so please be patient.
When to declare by
- All students must be fully declared in a major before they reach 60 units. If you reach 60 units and you have not declared a major, the university will place a no major hold on your account until you have declared a major. If you do not meet the MSR for your current major, you would need to explore other majors.
- We encourage you to declare as soon as possible. Some students can declare into their major after their first year. When you declare will be based on when you finish your MSR.
Schedule Planning Tips
- As a pre-major, you will be limited in the number of major courses you can enroll in. Most majors require you to be fully declared into the major before you can access the courses.
- Your priority courses should be MSR. If you run out of MSR courses, you can fill in your schedule with General Education courses, including the upper-division GE requirements.
- You can find major courses that are open to pre-majors, by checking the “Prerequisite” column on our major requirements worksheets. Look for “open to pre-majors" in the prerequisites. If the prerequisite column does not say “open to pre-majors", then you cannot enroll in the course until you are declared.
- If you are in progress with your final MSR, you are still in pre-major status when you register for next semester. We encourage you to enroll in major courses open to pre-majors, remaining GE courses, and electives if you need them. Once you are fully declared at the end of the semester, you can swap into courses that are only open to declared students.