CHHS Major, Minor, and Certificate Requests
CHHS Advising can only review requests for programs under the College of Health & Human Services (CHHS). Please view the list of available majors, minors, and certificates in the table below. You can view the list of requirements for each program on our Requirements Worksheets page. If you are interested in adding something in another college, you will need to reach out to that college’s advising center. You can find links to the other colleges’ advising centers on our Important Links page.
|CHHS Majors||CHHS Minors||CHHS Certificates|
|Child Development & Family Studies||Child Development & Family Studies||Gerontology|
|Consumer Affairs||Consumer Affairs||Health Care Administration|
|Criminology & Criminal Justice||Criminal Justice||Wilderness Studies|
|Dietetics & Food Administration: Food Science||Event Planning Management|
|Dietetics & Food Administration: Nutrition & Dietetics||Fashion Design|
|Family Life Education||Fashion Merchandising|
|Fashion Design||Food Science|
|Fashion Merchandising||Forensic Studies|
|Health Care Administration||Gerontology|
|Health Science: Community Health Education||
|Health Science: School Health Education||Hospitality Management|
|Kinesiology: Exercise Science||Textiles|
|Kinesiology: Physical Education-Teacher Education|
|Kinesiology: Sport Psychology & Leadership|
Enrollment Services will change your major after you finish your Major Specific Requirements (MSR). Pre-majors do not need to submit the Degree Objective Change form. Please be aware that the auto declaration process is not immediate. Enrollment Services must wait for all grades to be posted for the semester and must process grade forgiveness before they can begin the process. Please be patient! You will typically be auto declared about a month after the semester has ended. If you have further questions about declaring, or what courses you can take in your major as a pre-major, please visit our Pre-Major Information webpage.
- To add a double major, minor, or certificate, you must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 in your cumulative, CSULB, major, and upper-division major GPAs.
- Due to the above GPA requirements, we cannot add double majors, minors, or certificates for first-semester transfer students. Once you have a CSULB GPA, you can submit your request.
- Pre-majors interested in adding a minor or certificate: you must be fully declared in your major first. Please wait to submit a request until after you are declared.
- To declare a major, you must meet all Major Specific Requirements (MSR) for the intended major.
- If you do not meet MSR and have not reached junior standing (60 units +), you may be placed into the pre-major instead.
- If your request does not comply with CSULB’s Timely Graduation Policy, your request will be denied.
- First, complete our online Degree Objective Change Form. You must do this before speaking with an advisor about your request.
- CHHS Advising will review your request and email you a decision to your CSULB email within seven (7) to ten (10) business days.
- If your request is approved, you will then meet with an advisor to discuss your new academic plans and class schedule.
- Major, minor, and certificate changes must also be processed by Enrollment Services. This takes additional time before your change is finalized. It is important to submit your request well in advance of registration or any other deadlines. CHHS Advising is not responsible for registration delays that may occur while requests are being reviewed and/or processed. You will receive an email from Enrollment Services letting you know when your record is updated.
- Major, minor, and certificate decisions depend on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, requirements, your completed courses, and your time to graduation. Major, minor, and certificate changes are not guaranteed. You should plan for alternatives in case your request is denied.
- Due to particularly high demand, Nursing and Social Work require supplemental applications before students may be admitted to these majors. If you are interested in switching to Pre-Nursing, please contact the University Center for Undergraduate Advising (UCUA) to discuss eligibility.