Summer Guidance for Incoming COE Freshmen
Welcome to California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) and the College of Engineering (COE) We are honored that you selected CSULB and we are excited to help you achieve a smooth and successful start to your college career.
Please note: the following information is for incoming freshmen (first-time, first year students) who are Pre-COE Majors. Incoming freshmen from other majors can find their college's advising resources on SOAR's Advising and Registration page.
Student Orientation Advising and Registration (SOAR) Experience Overview
The SOAR Experience consists of two processes (each with multiple components):
- Orientation led by SOAR
- Advising and Registration led by Engineering Student Success Center’s (ESSC) Academic Advising Team
Your Orientation and Class Registration dates are linked. When you register for SOAR Orientation Workshop (on campus), you are assigned the corresponding Class Registration date (online).
|If your Orientation Workshop Is On||Your Class Registration (Advising and Registration) Is On|
|July 25||July 28|
|July 26||July 29|
|July 28||Aug. 1|
|July 29||Aug. 2|
|Aug. 1||Aug. 3|
|Aug. 2||Aug. 4|
|Aug. 3||Aug. 5 or 8|
|Aug. 4||Aug. 9 or 10|
|Aug. 5 or 9||Aug. 11|
Note: Orientation is held on campus. Class Registration is conducted online (via Zoom); on-campus assistance with registration can be provided upon request.
Steps to Start Your Journey
- Accept your Admission by submitting your Intent to Enroll and Enrollment Deposit by May 1. Visit your MyCSULB Student Portal via Single Sign-On (SSO) to get started.
- Check your BeachMail and personal email accounts on a regular basis for directions and announcements. See: How to Check BeachMail.
- Make a reservation for your linked On-Campus Orientation Workshop and Class Registration Dates by June 1.
- Complete the Pre-SOAR Orientation and COE Advising Online BeachBoard courses prior to attending on-campus SOAR Orientation and Advising and Registration.
- Begin mathematics class placement as soon as possible. ALEKS Mathematics Placement will become available on your Single Sign-On (SSO) once you submit your Intent to Enroll and Enrollment Deposit.
- Complete the COE Freshman Academic Advising Survey no later than June 30. Survey will be available in June.
- Fulfill your Orientation Process. Learn more about this step by visiting SOAR Orientation. This must be completed before enrolling in classes.
- Complete the Advising and Registration Process. You will be receiving an invitation to sign up for an advising appointment on your registration date, either online or on campus. This is your time to ask questions about placement, fall schedule, and registration help.
COE Pre -Majors who do not qualify for Calculus 1 (MATH 122) based on AP/CLEP/IB exams or SAT/ACT scores (see Math placement criterion/link below) are required to complete ALEKS Mathematics Placement. Chemistry Placement (CHEM ALEKS) is only recommended for Pre-Chemical Engineering majors. ALEKS Math and Chemistry placement programs require multiple days to complete and we recommend starting them no later than early/mid June.
ALEKS assessments for Math and Chemistry must be completed by July 15.
Math Placement and Course Recommendation Guide for incoming College of Engineering Pre-majors
Chemistry Placement for Incoming Freshmen (Recommended for Pre-Chemical Engineering majors only)
If you are required or recommended to attend Early Start Mathematics (ESM), you may be exempted from ESM requirement if you complete all 4 ALEKS Mathematics Placement modules and score 60 or above on at least one of the assessments.
All COE Freshmen must complete the Advising Survey to report AP/IB scores, test scores, community college transfer credit, and other information that will pertain to your Fall 2022 schedule. ESSC Advisors will use the self-reported information listed on the survey to make individual Fall 2022 course recommendations for each student. For accurate course recommendations, please complete the survey no later than July 15.
COE Freshmen Advising Survey (available starting June 1)
In addition to completing the COE Freshmen Advising Survey, all AP/IB exam scores and college credit(s) must be submitted officially to CSULB (via College Board, community college etc.) in order to receive the appropriate CSULB credit. CSULB AP/IB Credit Chart
Be sure to complete the Pre-SOAR Orientation and COE Advising Online BeachBoard courses. They contain a lot of useful information that will help to prepare you for SOAR Orientation and being a Pre-COE major. Courses will be available on BeachBoard and will live on June 1, 2022.
If you are an incoming student who was admitted in Science, Math, Engineering, Environmental Science & Policy, or Nursing; you are eligible to switch to a COE Pre-Major. Please complete the COE Freshmen Major Change Request Form
If you were not admitted as one of the majors listed above, you are not eligible to switch to a COE Pre-major at this time. If you have an interest in exploring majors in science and mathematics, please contact the University Center for Undergraduate Advising to switch to Undeclared.
If you were admitted as a COE Pre-major and would like to switch to another major outside of COE, please contact the advising center for your new major. If you are interested in switching to Pre-Nursing, please switch to undeclared through the University Center for Undergraduate Advising.
You will register for your recommended classes on your scheduled Class Registration date. If you missed your date, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance within 5 days of your enrollment date.
The Bob Murphy Access Center (BMAC) provides support to students with disabilities through accommodations and services, including but not limited to sign language interpreters, real-time captioners, assistive technology, and alternative media.
Complete the SOAR-BMAC Disability-Related Accommodations Form to request your needed accommodations/services. If you have additional questions, please visit the BMAC website, call 562.985.5401, or email BMAC@csulb.edu.
Check your personal email and your new CSULB email for updates and read the information below so you understand the full process.
- Tuition and Fees Deadlines
- Immunization Requirements Deadlines
- Beach Central (Enrollment Services)
- Financial Aid
- ATS Help Desk (tech support for BeachBoard, BeachMail, and MyApps)
Contact ESSC Advising Center at email@example.com.