The Excellence through a Community of Engaged Learners (EXCEL) Peer Mentor program offers upper-division students a paid opportunity to serve as ambassadors of their college by mentoring and tutoring freshmen and transfer students during the academic year, and participate in the planning and implementation of other student and family events. The services provided by EXCEL, in combination with the support of our peer mentor tutors, will help increase the academic success and professional development of freshmen and transfer students.
- Declared engineering major
- Desire to mentor and represent the College of Enineering
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA preferred
- Ability to tutor upper- and lower-division engineering courses
- Ability to commit to the position for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Have completed at least 90 units by the end of Spring 2020
- Able to attend paid training in Summer 2020 and Spring 2021
- Receive training in academic mentoring and tutoring techniques
- Receive training in growth mindset, communication, group dynamics, and leadership skills
- Use acquired skills in outreach and designated activities to further your strength as a candidate
- Create connections with students, staff, faculty, administrators, and industry members
- Maintain skills in subject matter through tutoring
Mentors will receive hourly pay starting at $14.50 and work an average of 10 hours per week. If hired, Peer Mentors will be responsible for mentoring, tutoring, and assist with events, workshops, and presentations.
The deadline to apply is Tuesday, April 7.