You are here

SERVE Frequently Asked Questions

General Information


How often do I have to update my TB test results?

TB test results need to be updated every 4 years from the date they were read and x-rays every 8 years.

How do I get copies of my rotation forms (Final Evaluation and Hours Log) or TB test?

Please visit the S4@ The Beach website to obtain necessary documents. 

Where can I get the Livescan (fingerprinting) service?

University Police is available for fingerprinting services: Monday - Thursday, 1:00PM - 4:00PM.

For other Livescan services please visit:

Click here for information on how to obtain a Certificate of Clearance from the CTC.

Where can I get my TB test for SERVE Placement?

You may contact the CSULB Student Health Center for information about TB testing. You can also go to your own medical clinic and/or personal physician.

What is required to participate in the SERVE Program?

  1. S4@ The Beach Registration
  2. A copy of a current TB test certificate (taken within the past 12 months)
  3. A Valid Certificate of Clearance issued by the CTC
  4. Additional fingerprinting if placement is in Long Beach USD

Am I eligible to be in the SERVE Program?

Students who meet the following are eligible to be in the SERVE Program:

  1. Enrolled in EDEL 200 or EDEL 300 at CSULB

  2. In good academic standing
  3. 2nd semester status and above

  4. Clear background check



How long will it take for me to be placed after I request placement?

Approximately one to two weeks after your fingerprints have been cleared. 

What does it mean when my file is on HOLD?

The following describes what the HOLD on your file may indicate:   HOLD - There is an issue with your SERVE file and it is necessary for you to contact the SERVE Office for further details.   HOLD Late Checkout - Checkout is needed for one of your previous rotations. Please login to your SERVE file and go to Rotation Checkout. Once completed, the SERVE Office will resume processing your rotation.    HOLD Invalid Request -The Placement Request submitted needs to be changed due to your current course or SERVE requirements. Please contact the SERVE Office for further details.

What are the maximum/minimum SERVE hours I can do in a week?

There is no maximum or minimum hours. Although, cooperating teachers are allowed to schedule you as needed. 

Lunch hour can be counted on cooperating teacher approval only. 

What do I do after I finish my SERVE hours?

  1. Complete the End of Rotation form in S4@ The Beach.
  2. Your Cooperating Teacher will be emailed a link to your Final Evaluation.

I have been placed, who do I contact to get started?

Once you have been placed, information on your SERVE Site Coordinator will be in the placement email your receive from S4@ The Beach.  Emails should be sent using your CSULB email account.

How do I request my 2nd or 3rd placement if I am a continuing CSULB SERVE student?

Submit your placement request using the S4@ The Beach Online system. The link can be found on the SERVE Online System page.

Techinal Issue


What can I do if I am having problems navigating to the SERVE Online System

Please contact the Teacher Preparation Advising Center at 562-985-1105 or