Special Education Credential Program Final Fieldwork (Student Teaching)
Fall 2019 ESCP Final Fieldwork Applications are due Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Please be aware that the campus will be closed on Monday April 1, 2019 in observance of the Cesar Chavez Holiday.
Final Fieldwork (Student Teaching) is the culminating field experience in the Special Education Credential Program. It is completed during the final semester(s) of the program where ESCP candidates apply and integrate the pedagogy they have learned in their other course work to actual classroom experience. ESCP Preliminary candidates are required to student teach for 4 days a week for the length of the semesters that they are enrolled in advanced field study courses. The days of each week required for attendance in fieldwork will be determined collaboratively by each fieldwork site. (Intern requirements vary)
Candidates also have the support of a University Supervisor who observes and conferences with them on a regular basis, and attend seminars held by the University Supervisor.
See the Student Teacher Handbook for more details regarding the student teaching semester.
All final fieldwork placements are made by the Office of Clinical Practice in schools and districts which CSULB has current Affiliation Agreements with. Self placements are not permitted.
Requirements to Advance to Final Fieldwork for Traditional Students and Interns
- Be admitted to CSULB as a matriculate student. Final Fieldwork CANNOT be done through Open University. If you are graduating from CSULB Spring 2019 or Summer 2019 with a degree (bachelor's or master's), you must reapply to the university for Fall 2019 on www.calstate.edu/apply by June 1, 2019 to continue in Fall 2019 and complete Final Fieldwork. If you have been away from the university for a semester or more without an approved Educational Leave of Absence, you must reapply to the university.
- Have a current Advisement Plan with courses completed showing Fall 2019 as Final Fieldwork semester
- Maintain 3.0 GPA in pedagogy/methods courses with no grade lower than "C" in any program course.
- Provide fingerprint clearance (Certificate of Clearance or valid 30 Day Sub Permit) Print from: CTC Look Up
- Valid TB clearance (Tests are valid for 4 years and must be valid through the end of the student teaching semester). If you don't have a current TB test, make an appointment with Student Health Services asap.
- Pass all parts of the CSET and submit copies of your official scores or have official proof of completion of a CTC approved Subject Matter Preparation Program.
- Complete the Basic Skills Requirement and submit official copies of scores
- Submit a COMPLETE application packets to the Teacher Preparation Advising Center (EED-67) by the deadline. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED! LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Final Fieldwork Application Instructions
All steps are required for Traditional Students and Interns
Only complete applications will be accepted.
Steps 1, 2 & 3 must all be completed by Tuesday April 2, 2019
Please follow these three steps carefully:
Step 1: Complete Necessary Forms and Gather Required Documents
- 2 copies of Proof of Basic Skills (CBEST scores, ACT score, etc.)
- 2 copies of CSET Scores or ESM Waiver Letter
- 2 copies of CTC website printout of Certificate of Clearance or 30 Day Sub Permit
- 1 copy of Valid TB Test
- 1 copy of CSULB unofficial transcripts from MyCSULB with the following courses highlighted:
Pre-Requisites: EDSP 454, ED P 405, EDSP 350, ED P 301/302 and ETEC 110
Core Courses: EDSP 480, EDSP 534, EDEL 452, EDEL 462, EDSP 564, ED P 560 & EDSP 577/578
Highlight them even if they are in progress
- $25 cash, check or money order payable to “CSU, Long Beach”
Step 2: Submit ALL of the following items to the Teacher Preparation Advising Center (EED-67):
- Final Fieldwork Application (PDF)
- Copy of TB Test or Chest X-ray Verification- must be valid through the completion of student teaching. If you don't have a current TB test, make an appointment with Student Health Services.Note: TB skin test is valid for four years. Chest X-ray is valid for eight years.
- Website printout of valid Certificate of Clearance or valid Emergency Permit showing issuance/expiration dates and document number. Note: Certificate of Clearance must be valid through the completion of student teaching.
- Basic Skills Requirement – Proof of satisfying Basic Skills (CBEST scores or proof of CTC approved alternative)
- Copy of official passing CSET (101,102,103) scores or ESM Waiver Letter
- Printout of MyCSULB unofficial transcripts with credential coursework highlighted
Step 3: Submit ALL of the following items to the Credential Center (EED-42):
- Credential Center Evaluation Request
- Receipt from TPAC (You will receive this when you complete Step 2.)
- $25 cash, check or money order payable to “CSU, Long Beach” (not required for approved interns)
- Website printout of valid Certificate of Clearance or valid Emergency Permit showing issuance/expiration dates and document number. (not required for approved interns)
Note: Certificate of Clearance must be valid through the completion of student teaching.
- Basic Skills Requirement – Proof of satisfying Basic Skills (CBEST scores or proof of CTC approved alternative) (not required for approved interns)
- Copy of official passing CSET (101,102,103) if applicable (not required for approved interns)
- Copy of official passing RICA scores - needed prior to completing your credential.
Steps 1, 2 & 3 Must Be Completed No Later Than Tuesday April 2, 2019 at 5:00pm to be Eligible for Fall 2019 Final Fieldwork!