Special Education Credential Program Final Fieldwork (Student Teaching)
The University has recently announced that all in-person classes will be suspended for the remainder of the Spring semester as a preventative measure. The Teacher Preparation Advising Center is also closed to the public until further notice. Because of this, we are accepting student teaching applications for Fall 2020 via email. See below for further information on how to submit your student teaching application for Fall 2020.
Fall 2020 ESCP Final Fieldwork Applications are due Wednesday April 1, 2020.
Due to COVID-19, we will accept Fall 2020 Final Fieldwork (Student Teaching) Applications via email. Please see below for submission procedures.
Please be aware that staff are working remotely during this time of closure. If you have any questions, send us an email at email@example.com.
Final Fieldwork (Student Teaching) is the culminating field experience in the Special Education Credential Program. It is completed during the final semester(s) of the program where ESCP candidates apply and integrate the pedagogy they have learned in their other course work to actual classroom experience. ESCP Preliminary candidates are required to student teach for 4 days a week for the length of the semesters that they are enrolled in advanced field study courses. The days of each week required for attendance in fieldwork will be determined collaboratively by each fieldwork site. (Intern requirements vary)
Candidates also have the support of a University Supervisor who observes and conferences with them on a regular basis, and attend seminars held by the University Supervisor.
See the Student Teacher Handbook for more details regarding the student teaching semester.
All final fieldwork placements are made by the Office of Clinical Practice in schools and districts which CSULB has current Affiliation Agreements with. Self placements are not permitted. The Office of Clinical Practice works in conjunction with the Special Education Credential Program to find the best possible placement for Final Fieldwork. Many factors are taken into consideration when placing students, including student preferences. However, preferred placements are not guaranteed and are dependent on available placements and program discretion.
Requirements to Advance to Final Fieldwork for Traditional Students and Interns
- Be admitted to CSULB as a matriculate student. Final Fieldwork CANNOT be done through Open University. If you are graduating from CSULB Spring 2020 or Summer 2020 with a degree (bachelor's or master's), you must reapply to the university for Fall 2020 on www.calstate.edu/apply by June 1, 2020 to continue in Fall 2020 and complete Final Fieldwork. If you have been away from the university for a semester or more without an approved Educational Leave of Absence, you must reapply to the university.
- Have a current Advisement Plan with courses completed showing Fall 2020 as Final Fieldwork semester
- Maintain 3.0 GPA in pedagogy/methods courses with no grade lower than "C" in any program course.
- Provide fingerprint clearance (Certificate of Clearance or valid 30 Day Sub Permit) Print from: CTC Look Up
- Valid TB clearance (Tests are valid for 4 years and must be valid through the end of the student teaching semester). If you don't have a current TB test, make an appointment with Student Health Services asap.
- Pass all parts of the CSET and submit copies of your official scores or have official proof of completion of a CTC approved Subject Matter Preparation Program.
- Complete the Basic Skills Requirement and submit official copies of scores
- Submit a COMPLETE application packets to the Teacher Preparation Advising Center (EED-67) by the deadline. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED! LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Final Fieldwork Application
Final Fieldwork Application Instructions
All steps are required for Traditional Students and Interns
Only complete applications will be accepted.
All student teaching application will need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 1: Complete Necessary Forms and Gather Required Documents
- Final Fieldwork Application (PDF)
- Final Fieldwork Placement Form (PDF)
- Credential Center Evaluation Request Form (PDF)
- Official Proof of Basic Skills (CBEST scores, ACT score, etc.)
- Official Passing CSET Scores or ESM Waiver Letter
- CTC website printout of Certificate of Clearance or 30 Day Sub Permit
- Valid TB Test
- Proof of Registration for the RICA exam. Candidates must provide a receipt from the Pearson website that they have registered to take the RICA exam. Test date must be prior to the first day of the Fall 2020 semester.
- $25 - Credit card receipt https://commerce.cashnet.com/csulbcedcredentials, (fee is non-refundable) (not required for approved interns or students reapplying for student teaching.)
- Valid CPR - must provide a valid copy of infant, child and adult CPR Certification (course must have a hands-on classroom instruction component) If you do not currently have valid CPR Certification, you may submit your application without it and then submit it at a later date.
Step 2: Email all of the items above as attachments to email@example.com in ONE email.
Once your email is received and your application is processed, you will receive a confirmation email with a receipt and information on next steps. We will also forward your application to the Credential Center for processing. You will receive an email receipt from them as well.
Applications must be received No Later Than Wednesday April 1, 2020 at 5:00pm to be Eligible for Fall 2020 Student Teaching!