Education Specialist Credential Program Final Fieldwork (Student Teaching)
The Teacher Preparation Advising Center remains closed to the public until further notice. Because of this, we will be accepting Final Fieldwork Applications for Fall 2021 via a One Drive upload beginning February 1, 2021. See below for further information on how to submit your Final Fieldwork Application for Fall 2021.
Fall 2021 ESCP Final Fieldwork Applications are due Monday March 15, 2021.
Fall 2021 Final Fieldwork Application will begin being accepted on Monday February 1, 2021.
Please be aware that staff are working remotely during this time of closure. If you have any questions, send us an email at email@example.com or participate in online advising via Zoom during online advising hours (M-F 9am-11am and 2pm-4pm).
Final Fieldwork (Student Teaching) is the culminating field experience in the Education Specialist Credential Program. It is completed during the final semester(s) of the program where ESCP candidates apply and integrate the pedagogy they have learned in their other course work to actual classroom experience. ESCP Preliminary candidates are required to student teach for 4 days a week for the length of the semesters that they are enrolled in advanced field study courses. The days of each week required for attendance in fieldwork will be determined collaboratively by each fieldwork site. (Intern requirements vary)
Candidates also have the support of a University Supervisor who observes and conferences with them on a regular basis, and attend seminars held by the University Supervisor.
See the Student Teacher Handbook for more details regarding the student teaching semester.
All final fieldwork placements are made by the Office of Clinical Practice in schools and districts which CSULB has current Affiliation Agreements on file. Self placements are not permitted. The Office of Clinical Practice works in conjunction with the Education Specialist Credential Program to find the best possible placement for Final Fieldwork. Many factors are taken into consideration when placing students, including student preferences. However, preferred placements are not guaranteed and are dependent on available placements and program discretion.
Requirements to Advance to Final Fieldwork for Traditional Students and Interns
- Be admitted to CSULB as a matriculate student. Final Fieldwork CANNOT be done through Open University. If you are graduating from CSULB Spring 2021 with a degree (bachelor's or master's), you must reapply to the university for Fall 2021 on Cal State Apply by June 1, 2021 to continue in Fall 2021 and complete Final Fieldwork. If you have been away from the university for a semester or more without an approved Educational Leave of Absence, you must reapply to the university by the June 1st deadline.
- Have a current Advisement Plan with courses completed showing Fall 2021 as Final Fieldwork semester
- Maintain 3.0 GPA in pedagogy/methods courses with no grade lower than "C" in any program course.
- Provide fingerprint clearance (Certificate of Clearance or valid 30 Day Sub Permit) Print from: CTC Look Up
- Valid TB clearance (Tests are valid for 4 years and must be valid through the end of the student teaching semester).
- Pass all parts of the CSET and submit copies of your official scores or have official proof of completion of a CTC approved Subject Matter Preparation Program.
- Complete the Basic Skills Requirement and submit official copies of scores
- Submit a COMPLETE application packets to the Teacher Preparation Advising Center by the deadline. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED! LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Final Fieldwork Application
Final Fieldwork Application Instructions
All steps are required for Traditional Students and Interns
Only complete applications will be accepted.
Step 1: Complete and Save the following items for preparation to upload to the ESCP Final Fieldwork Application One Drive File:
- Final Fieldwork Application form via DocuSign - Once complete, download your application as 1 PDF and save it as 1-Final Fieldwork Application. We DO NOT receive your application through DocuSign so you must download it and then upload it to the Final Fieldwork Application One Drive file.
- Final Fieldwork Placement Information form - Complete the electronic form to indicate your district preferences.
- Credential Center Evaluation Request form via DocuSign - Once completed, download the document and save it as 2-Evaluation Request
- $25 Credit Card receipt: https://commerce.cashnet.com/csulbcedcredentials, Take a screen shot of the receipt and save it as 3-Payment Receipt
- CSULB Unofficial Transcript - Download these from your MyCSULB and save them as a PDF. 4-CSULB Transcripts.
- Proof of Certificate of Clearance or 30-Day Sub Permit. Take a screen shot from the CTC website and save it as 5-CTC Clearance
- Proof of Basic Skills (CBEST scores, SAT scores, ACT scores, etc.) - Save as 6-Basic Skills
- Pass all parts of the CSET or Verification of Completion of a CTC approved Subject Matter Preparation Program (ITEP students must request a subject matter evaluation prior to submitting the student teaching application)- Save as 7-Subject Matter
- Valid TB Test - Save as 8-TB Test
- Proof of Valid CPR – must provide a valid copy of infant, child and adult CPR Certification. Required program to recommendation of credential – Save as 9-CPR
- Proof of Registration for the RICA exam or passing RICA scores. Candidates must provide a receipt from the Pearson website that they have registered to take the RICA exam. – Save as 10-RICA
- Completion of Acknowledgement of Risk Survey – View the CSULB Health and Safety Video. After viewing the CSULB Health and Safety Video, complete the short Acknowledgement of Risk (AoR) survey and take a screen shot of the final page of the survey to upload with your Student Teaching Application – Save your screen shot as 11-Verification of AoR
Step 2: Upload your documents to the ESCP Final Fieldwork Application One Drive file beginning February 1, 2021 but no later than 5pm on Monday March 15, 2021.
- 1-Final Fieldwork Application
- 2-Evaluation Request
- 3-Payment Receipt
- 4-CSULB Transcripts
- 5-CTC Clearance
- 6-Basic Skills
- 7-Subject Matter
- 8-TB Test
- 11-Verification of AoR
You do NOT need to include your name in the file name since One Drive will automatically add this for you. One Drive is a safe and secure file upload site.
Applications must be received No Later Than Monday March 15, 2021 at 5:00pm to be Eligible for Fall 2021 Final Fieldwork!
Application that do not include passing CBEST and CSET (if applicable) scores will not be accepted. Candidates that receive passing scores after the deadline may petition to submit their application after the deadline. Petitions must include passing scores and will be considered on a space available basis if placements are availble. Do NOT submit a petition until you have official passing scores for all required exams.