Welcome to the SERVE Program! The SERVE Program provides training and facilitates placement of CSULB students as tutors in urban classrooms.
Site Conditions for Field Placement
- University students will work directly with K-12 students in urban classroom settings.
- School has a diverse student population in terms of language, culture, gender and socio-economic background (minimum 27% of minority student population).
- Cooperating teacher has a professional teaching credential with a minimum 3 years of teaching experience. Student is not related to cooperating teacher.
Who are SERVE students?
- Second semester freshman status or above;
- GPA of 2.0 or above in all work;
- Trained through SERVE Program or course work;
- Cleared through SERVE Program - (TB Testing & LiveScan FBI/DOJ)
Requirements for SERVE students placed in the classroom:
- Minimum of 40 hours in the classroom or other assigned site during one semester constitutes one rotation;
- Each service-learning rotation is at a different site, different grade level.
Course Requirements for Service Learning
- EDEL 200/300/380: Student will participate in a regular, self-contained K-8 classroom in a core academic area (not departmentalized, special education, computer labs, after-school programs, etc.).