All academic advising services including drop-in advising, appointments, and workshops are online. Please contact CHHS Advising if other arrangements are needed. Before joining the Zoom session, make sure you have access to a computer or tablet with an enabled microphone. We highly recommend using a computer or tablet, so you can share your screen with your advisor. If you do not have access to a computer or tablet, you can join the session via phone.
What can you do if you have a question and an advisor is not available?
Unfortunately, our advisors cannot be available 24/7. Please understand that our advisors deserve their personal time off, so do not expect answers/availability after business hours, on weekends, or holidays. We advise and support thousands of students in CHHS, and all of you matter to us! Please be patient with us as we try to assist all of you during these challenging times.
We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions for you to reference if we are not available to assist you. If your question is not on here, we encourage you to search for the answer online via Google or another search engine. Almost everything can be found online through CSULB's website!
Drop-in Advising versus Graduation Planning Appointments
Drop-in advising (10-15 minute sessions) is appropriate for:
- CHHS pre-major, minor, and certificate advising
- Graduating seniors (Fall 2021, Winter 2022, Spring 2022)
- First semester freshmen who have already attended a CHHS freshmen advising session
- All other quick questions such as:
- Next semester's schedule
- How to find GE courses
- Policy questions (examples: repeating courses, timely graduation, credit/no credit)
- Dropping/withdrawing from courses
- Graduation checks (Fall 2021, Winter 2022, Spring 2022 & Summer 2022)
- Signatures on forms such as educational leave, CRJU internship checklist, HSC 485 memos
Graduation Planning Appointments (30-minute advising sessions) are available after you declare your major (no longer a pre-major) and are appropriate for:
- Comprehensive GE & major advising
- Semester by semester graduation planning (Spring 2022 and after)
Drop-in Advising Hours
Drop-in advising is on a first-come, first-served basis. Wait times can vary depending on day and major. If you work during our drop-in hours or are dealing with a time zone change, and none of the available times work for you, please contact us to see if any accommodations are available.
Fall 2021 Drop-In Advising Hours:*
- If you are a Fall 2021 incoming student, please visit our Advising for Incoming CHHS Students webpage for information on your orientation and registration requirements.
- All drop-in advising is online via Zoom*. There are no in-person drop-in advising services available at this time.
- Drop-in advising is for:
- Schedule Review for Fall 2021, Winter 2022 & Spring 2022
- Grad Check for Fall 2021, Winter 2022, Spring 2022 & Summer 2022
- Quick questions
- These sessions are limited to only 10-15 minutes.
- Hours are subject to change depending on advisor availability. Check back often for updates.
- *Please note that the Zoom room may be locked earlier if it reaches capacity prior to the end time.
Upcoming drop-in hours:
- Monday, October 18th - 9:00am to 11:00am
- Tuesday, October 19th - 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Wednesday, October 20th - 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Thursday, October 21st - 9:00am to 11:00am
How to join Zoom:
- Zoom e-advising is only available for College of Health and Human Services students. Please refer to your respective college advising center if you need academic advising.
- Online video session: https://csulb.zoom.us/j/561334665
- If you do not have access to a computer, please join the session by calling: (669) 900 - 6833
- Meeting ID: 561-334-665
Graduation Planning Appointments
- Graduation Planning Appointments are not available duing the following times: January, April, June, July, August, November. If you need to speak to an advisor during those times, please visit our drop-in advising hours.
- If you wish to schedule a 30-minute graduation planning appointment, please visit the "BeachConnect" icon on your Single Sign On.
- On the far right side, click the “Get Assistance” Button to make an advising appointment.
- From the drop-down menu choose the type of appointment you need. To meet with your Academic Advisor choose “Academic Advising”.
- Select the type of advising by choosing “Advising Center”. Then select the service “Degree Progress & Planning.”
- Select "College of Health and Human Services Advising Center" from the Location drop-down to view the available appointment times.
- Appointments are reserved for declared CHHS majors who need extensive graduation planning only. If you are a CHHS pre-major, minor, or certificate student, please refer to our drop-in advising times.
- Please be aware your appointment will be canceled if you do not need extensive graduation planning. For example, if you are graduating in Spring 2022 and you want to make sure you are on track to graduate, you will be referred to our drop-in advising hours instead. Additionally, if you are changing majors, you will need to submit your request and have it reviewed prior to your appointment. Major changes are not reviewed during appointments.
- If you have been disqualified from CSULB, you must attend a Reinstatement Workshop with the University Center for Undergraduate Advising (UCUA) before scheduling an appointment.
- Your advisor will send you an individual Zoom link for your appointment. Please make sure to check your CSULB email for the link.
- How to Prepare for Your Appointment:
- Review your Academic Requirements Report (ARR) on MyCSULB and your Major Requirements Worksheet prior to your appointment.
- Create a list of any questions you have for your advisor.
- Late Arrivals & No Shows:
- Your appointment may be canceled if you are late. This will be at the discretion of your advisor as it may vary based on the appointment reason as well as the advisor's schedule.
- If you "no show" to two (2) appointments in the same semester, you must meet with a CHHS advisor during drop-in advising hours before you will be able to schedule another 30-minute appointment.
- If you cannot keep an appointment, cancel the appointment at least 24 hours in advance.
- Please be courteous to other students by planning ahead (cancel or reschedule in a timely fashion). This will help open time slots for other students.
Individual Career Appointments
Students may also schedule an individual appointment with Amy Gleason, the Career Coordinator, through Beach Connect.
Scheduling a CHHS Career Counseling appointment:
- View available Career Counseling appointment times on Beach Connect.
- Select the specific service you want and choose Online, Phone, or In-Person appointment.
- Log in using Single Sign-On.
- On the far right side, click the "Get Assistance" button.
- Select "Career Counseling" as the appointment type.
- Select the service type.
- Select your preferred meeting type: Online, Phone, or In-Person.
- Select the location as College of Health and Human Services Advising Center
- Select a day and time that fits your schedule.
- Review appointment details and confirm the appointment.
CHHS Career Workshops
- Visit the Career Workshops page to view available Career Workshops and sign-up instructions.
- Watch your CSULB student email for the link to the online Zoom session.