Applications for the BUILD program are taken online. The application form requires you to not only enter information but upload supporting documents, as well. Below are listed the supporting documentation you'll need to complete the application. It is recommended that you have these documents prepared in advance of starting the application form.
Expected Graduation Date Form
The Expected Graduation Date Form is required as part of the BUILD, MARC U*STAR, and RISE combined application. All applicants are asked to meet with their major advisor before March 2019, to have this form signed. Students transferring into CSULB in Fall 2019 are not required to submit this document in order to complete the application. Plan ahead and schedule a meeting with your major advisor ASAP.
Provide a scanned or electronic copy (no images or pictures, must be a pdf) of your transcript showing all courses, units, and grades from all post-secondary institutions. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable provided they are up to date.
CSULB students can access unofficial transcripts in their MyCSULB account or visit the Student Academic Records page. Former CSULB students, go here. You may need to disable pop-blocker on your browser to access your records.
We have created a guide for accessing your CSULB GPA, as well.
To help us determine the appropriate entry point into the programs, you will be asked to provide a list of courses you will have left to complete after entering the program. This can be a word doc with a list of courses per semester that you plan on taking. Keep in mind, you must have at least 12 units/semester.
For BUILD, additional research curriculum courses are required. Please review the Research Curriculum section on our website for course listings. BUILD students are required to take one Research Curriculum course per year and many of these courses satisfy GE/Capstone requirement. Many of these courses satisfy GE/Capstone requirement. You can include these in your Degree Plan.
CSULB students should accomplish this by uploading a copy of their current "Degree Planner," available from their MyCSULB account. For help with finding your degree planner please go here.
*If you do not have a CSULB degree planner, please create and upload a list of courses you will need to take at CSULB to complete your major degree.
Financial Aid Award Letter
If you are eligible to receive financial aid, please upload a copy of your most current financial aid award letter. This letter can be accessed from your MyCSULB account.
- If applying to an upper division or Fellows program, please make it 500-1000 words. Download the upper division personal statement template. Download the Fellows personal statement template.
- If applying to a lower division program, please make it 400-700 words. Download the lower division personal statement template.
Research Interest Statement
- If applying to an upper division program, please make it 500-1000 words. Download the upper division research interest statement template. Download the Fellows research interest statement template.
- If applying to a lower division program, please make it 400-700 words. Download the lower division research interest statement template.
- If applying to an upper division or Fellows program, you will be required to have 2 recommendations. One needs to come from a CSULB professor. The other recommendation is preferred to be from a CSULB professor, but it can also come from anyone that has overseen you in a supervisory role. Download the upper division faculty recommendation template. Download the Fellows faculty recommendation template.
- If applying to a lower division program, you will be required to have 1 recommendation. The recommendation is preferred to be from a CSULB professor, but it can also come from anyone that has overseen you in a supervisory role. Download the lower division faculty recommendation template.
- If RISE was selected as a preferred program, one of the recommendations should be from a mentor who has agreed to accept the student into their research program.
Your recommender should have good knowledge about your academic and/or research potential to complete a faculty recommendation CSULB students form. At least one faculty member should be from a STEM and/or health science related discipline (e.g., engineering and the behavioral, biological, clinical, health, physical and social sciences). Recommenders are required to fill out the Faculty Recommendation Form even if they write a letter of recommendation. Recommenders that are not CSULB Faculty will use the same form.
*If you are already in a research program or have a commitment to a specific research mentor, one of these letters should be from that faculty member.