California State University, Long Beach enriches students' lives through globally informed, high impact educational experiences with superior teaching, research, creative activity, and action for the public good.
California State University, Long Beach will be a force for good at the forefront of public education in California and the world.
- Teaching and learning are at the center of who we are and all we do.
- Compassion, creativity, and innovation characterize our culture.
- Diversity is our strength.
- The public good is our responsibility.
University Strategic Priorities for 2030:
1. Engage All Students: Prepare students for their journeys to success.
- Leverage faculty, staff and student expertise in developing affordable, high-impact educational experiences that are responsive to students’ strengths, needs and aspirations.
- Prepare students to think and problem-solve creatively through responsive, flexible, disciplinary, and interdisciplinary curriculum.
- Engage students in robust internships, international learning experiences, service learning, and hands-on learning experiences in and out of the classroom.
- Offer curriculum and co-curricular activities that encompass life skills and prepare students to become engaged citizens and leaders.
2. Expand Access: Commit to students’ socioeconomic mobility by removing barriers to higher education.
- Expand opportunities for teaching and learning for both traditional and non-traditional student audiences.
- Diversify our portfolio of curricular offerings to address the needs and strengths of our extended community of learners and the innovation/work force needs of our region.
- Use a rich array of pedagogies and technology-enhanced solutions, and explore new scheduling patterns and locations.
- Adapt all teaching and learning resources to address the unique needs and strengths of our students.
3. Promote Intellectual Achievement: Rigor, relevance, and impact are hallmarks of our campus community.
- Stimulate collaborative and interdisciplinary research, scholarship, and creative activities in support of our values.
- Use sponsored research and creative activities as a means to amplify student learning.
- Lead research, innovation, and problem solving in response to the grand challenges in society and culture in the communities we serve.
- Build knowledge in and across a variety of disciplines to advance the university’s regional and global engagement.
4. Build Community: Support a compassionate community that is characterized by a strong sense of belonging and shared governance with shared responsibility.
- Be a model of a diverse and respectful community of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and administrators.
- Foster a community of belonging where everyone’s voice and well-being are valued.
- Create an environment where all campus members experience the joy of intellectual pursuits, purposeful work and meaningful opportunities for self and professional development.
- Open the university campus to collaborative partnerships that create new cultural, intellectual, and economic value for the region and beyond.
5. Cultivate Resilience: Implement innovative, entrepreneurial, and forward-looking actions to strengthen the institution and support the aspirations of community members.
- Prioritize community health and well-being.
- Build infrastructure and adopt practices to promote sustainability and withstand climate uncertainty.
- Increase financial capacity through legislative advocacy, corporate partnerships, and more to withstand economic volatility.
- Be nimble and proactive in an ever-changing technological landscape.