What's New Fall 2021?
Academic Technology Services investigates innovative technology and develops programs throughout the year to meet the needs of the campus. We are excited to formally share our summary list of the latest tools and services for teaching and learning at CSULB!
Don't hesitate to Contact Us if you have any questions or want to learn more!
HyFlex Classrooms and Instructional Techniques Programs
Over the past year, ATS has upgraded over 100 university-supported classrooms with customized equipment to facilitate a HyFlex model of instruction. In HyFlex courses, students are offered the flexibility to attend virtually, online (via recorded lectures), or in-person as desired and they may vary their mode of interaction on a daily or weekly basis. Teaching in a HyFlex Classroom means employing techniques that optimize the technology in the room to build community and give students equitable access to a unique learning collaboration.
- This Fall, instructors who have been assigned to teach in a HyFlex classroom can take advantage of our new HyFlex Student Assistant Program for support with the equipment and the various modes of interaction.
- If you are not currently teaching in a HyFlex classroom but would like to prepare for this option, register for our HyFlex Instructional Techniques Program.
Learn more about CSULB HyFlex Classrooms and Instruction.
Meet the ATS Instructional Design Team!
Faculty and instructional designers share a common goal: to create the best learning environment for student success.
Instructional Designers (IDs) are passionate about supporting faculty to align course activities and assessments with student learning objectives. Whether you’re developing new online/hybrid courses or seeking enhancements to existing courses, our Instructional Designers can:
- Explore ways to achieve course objectives with pedagogical methods supported by technology.
- Analyze student metrics to understand learning behaviors.
- Review course materials and designs in relation to established online quality assurance standards.
- Provide training on BeachBoard tools and best practices for online instruction.
Don't hesitate to reach out to the ID affiliated with your department for a custom support consultation (see the list). To get help with a quick question, visit our Virtual Support Zoom Room to speak to a team member.
Workshop Calendar Set for Fall
Registration is now open! Our full lineup of workshops just launched and can be found on our Events and Workshops site. Choose from over 30 live session dates to join and participate in discussions with ATS instructional designers and colleagues.
Also, check out the Archive section on our Events page to access recordings of past ATS workshops you may have missed.
Classroom Equipment Check-Out & New Mobile Teaching Kits!
Whether you teach in a traditional classroom or in a HyFlex, multi-modal style, sometimes you just need a little extra something to enhance the learning activity.ATS can assist you with a wide range of classroom setups. Visit our Classroom Equipment inventory to make a reservation.
Some new tools now available include:
- Mobile (Zoom) Teaching Kit: Take your lectures on the road! Teach remotely from any location that has a stable wi-fi connection.
- Mobile Voice Amplifiers: Use voice amplification for teaching in acoustically challenging situations.
- Mobile Learning Glass: Create engaging remote lectures with this unique tool. Be creative!
Fall Faculty Professional Development Programs
ATS Faculty Professional Development Programs are designed to meet the diverse needs of CSULB faculty who are teaching in a variety of modes and subjects. In these programs, we'll guide you in applying established, student-centered course standards that are critical for creating quality online and hybrid/HyFlex learning experiences.
Our Fall 2021 programs include a stipend upon completion of the requirements:
- Quality Essentials 2
September 13-November 5
HyFlex Instructional Techniques
September 27-October 8 & November 8-19
For the Winter intersession, we will again be offering Instructional Technology Foundations programs.
New Instructional Software Tools in BeachBoard
We're excited to announce the latest tools conveniently integrated into BeachBoard for easy access. They've been piloted by ATS and campus partners in real-life applications to ensure that they enhance teaching and learning.
- Watch this video recording for a high-level overview of all these tools!
- Visit the websites below for more detailed video demonstrations of their application and instructions to get started.
- Poll Everywhere: Add interactive polls to presentations to engage discussion.
- Playposit: Add interactions and quizzes to videos.
- Labster: Teach basic lab skills remotely via computer simulation.