- Sophomore standing or first-year transfer
- GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Plan to pursue a doctoral degree in one of the Mellon-approved fields of study (see list below)
- A completed application, two strong letters of recommendation from faculty, transcripts, writing sample, and resume/CV.
Mellon-Approved Fields of Study at CSULB
- Africana Studies
- American Indian Studies
- American Studies
- Asian and Asian American Studies
- Art History
- Chicano Latino Studies
- Comparative World Literature & Classics
- Jewish Studies
- Latin American Studies
- Music (Musicology)
- Performing Arts
- Political Science (with emphasis on political theory or political philosophy)
- Religious Studies
- Romance, German and Russian Languages and Literature
- Theater Arts (emphasis on theoretical lines of inquiry)
- Women Gender & Sexuality Studies
Application Deadline: Friday, February 26th, 2021 by 11:59pm
Applications should be submitted via the online application portal:
View all application questions and requirements: Application Material Guide (PDF.)
1. Academic Writing Sample
2. MMUF Essay (details included in link above)
3. Confidential letters of recommendation from two faculty. They must be emailed directly from the faculty member to email@example.com on or before the February 26th deadline. The email subject line must include “MMUF Recommendation” and the applicant’s full name. (Example: MMUF Recommendation, Ava Duvernay).
***Incomplete applications will not be reviewed***
Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
An interdisciplinary committee of CSULB faculty members will review student applications and conducts admissions interviews. Fellowships begin in the summer 2021. Awards are for two years (contingent upon adequate levels of participation).
Note: Applicants who are invited to interview MUST be available to interview at specified times. Interview dates/times to be announced in early spring 2021.
Information Sessions / Application Workshops
To assist students with their applications and to answer questions about MMUF, information sessions/application workshops will be held by the CSULB MMUF coordinators and current students. Light refreshments will be served, and this is an excellent opportunity to speak with the MMUF program and faculty coordinators. No need to RSVP and students are not required to attend the entire session.
Fall 2020 Information Session:
- When: December 9, 2020
- Where: Online Zoom Session
- Time: 2:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
- Registration Link