You are here

COVID-19 Human Resources FAQs

Is the Campus Open?

Campus remains open; however, on-campus staffing will be reduced to the minimum level required to provide limited critical services. Appropriate Administrators are working with staff to help create plans for moving forward in each department. Please keep monitoring this website for updates:

Will the Payroll Services department remain open?

Payroll Services will assist you via phone (562.985.4164) or email ( during this time. Between Monday through Friday, we will make our best efforts to respond to your voicemails and emails within 24 to 48 hours. Starting on Monday, March 16th, our front desk will be closed and we will not accept walk-in visitors. Please email or call us to make an appointment if you need to visit our office. The majority of payroll transactions may be completed by phone or email.

How will I obtain my live pay warrant if the campus is only open for essential personnel?

You may register to have your live pay warrant temporarily mailed to your home or mailing address. Sign up to have your check mailed by visiting the Employee Center chiclet in Single Sign On, then selecting Request Check for Mailing and following the instructions. This authorization will remain in effect until further notice. Please note that we will only mail live pay warrants. Direct deposit advices will not be distributed until the campus resumes normal operations.

Will there be an in-person pick up for my pay?

If you receive a live payroll check, the Payroll Services department will email you with pick up information. No direct deposit slips will be distributed until further notice.

We encourage everyone with a live pay warrant to enroll for the mail service described above to ensure prompt delivery of your pay. In addition, please consider signing up for our direct deposit service to assist with future pay dates.

Is it too late to sign up for Direct Deposit of my checks?

We encourage everyone to sign up for direct deposit as soon as possible. Use DocuSign to complete a paperless enrollment online in the Forms chiclet in Single Sign On. In response to the COVID-19 situation, Sacramento has put measures in place to reduce the time before your direct deposit request goes live. However, it will still take at least one to two pay dates to go into effect. Therefore, you should anticipate receiving a live check until you actually see the funds deposited into your account.

The Payroll Services team understands that your pay is very important, and we are committed to providing continued service during this difficult time. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have questions, or if there is anything we may do to assist.

Will the Benefits Services department remain open to respond to my questions and to help me enroll in or make changes to my benefits?

Yes, the Benefits Services department will be available to assist you via phone (562.985.2381) or email ( We will respond to your emails and voicemails within 24 to 48 hours during weekdays. Please note, effective Monday, March 16th, we will not be open for in-person walk-in visitors. If you have a critical situation that requires a visit to our office, such as a need for an original signature on a document, please contact us and we will be happy to arrange for an appointment to meet with you one-to-one. We understand how important health benefits can be during a stressful time such as this, and we are here to provide support and guidance, as needed.

Is Staff Human Resources open?

Our office lobby is closed, but all staff are responding to emails. Here is a list of all staff and their areas of responsibilities. You can leave a voicemail message for any staff member and we will respond as quickly as we can. You may also email us at at any time.

I’m a staff member and have an underlying health condition that places me at risk if exposed to COVID-19. What do I do?

If an employee’s job is conducive to telecommuting, the employee will be able to work remotely. Employees will work with their Appropriate Administrator or or Administrative Services Manager to complete a Temporary Telecommuting plan.

If telecommuting is not possible given the nature of the work assignment, the employee will be placed on administrative leave at their current rate of pay and for normally scheduled work hours.

I’m a staff member. Can I telecommute during the pandemic?

Managers have been asked to transition as many employees to telecommuting as possible, in support of the operations and mission of the campus. If the employee’s job can be done remotely, the Appropriate Administrator will work with you to complete a Temporary Telecommuting plan. Employees will work directly with their supervisors on work assignments and daily work plans.

If telecommuting is not possible given the nature of the work assignment or other factors that require the employee to report, those employees will remain on campus, with mandated health and safety protocols, face coverings and social distancing practiced in the work place. If those employees cannot come to work due to family health reasons, child care, etc. Please contact your Administrative Services Manager or Roxanna Roa via email at

I’m a staff member who has a chronic medical condition which puts me at high risk if exposed to COVID-19. What do I do?

Please send an email to

What is COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave or CPAL?

Effective March 23, 2020, California State University (CSU) system has authorized a new program that will provide up to 256 hours of paid administrative leave (prorated if less than full time) to university employees with a timebase and student employees who are unable to work, on campus or remotely, for the following purposes:

  • When an employee is unable to work due to the employee's own COVID-19-related illness, or that of a family member where the employee would normally be able to use sick leave;
  • When an employee is unable to work because the employee has been directed by their supervisor or healthcare provider not to come to the worksite for COVID-19-related reasons and/or it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely;
  • When an employee is unable to work due to a COVID-19-related school or daycare closure and the employee is required to be at home with a child or dependent, and it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely or in conjunction with the childcare commitment.

For more information on how to request CPAL, please contact your appropriate administrator or Administrative Services Manager.

I’m a Casual Worker or other Hourly/Intermittent Employee and I’m not sure if I will be scheduled to work during this time. What do I do?

Contact your appropriate administrator or Administrative Services Manager for guidance.

I’m an unrepresented Student Assistant or Federal Work Study Student. What do I do?

Student employees may telecommute if the work is conducive to telecommuting and they have the appropriate technology. Student employees will work with their supervisor to complete a Temporary Telecommuting plan. Student employees will work directly with their supervisors on work assignments and daily work plans.

Student assistants are subject to the 20 hour per week limit. International student employees in class code 1868 may continue to work up to 20 hours per week, as long as they remain enrolled.

If a student cannot telecommute due to the nature of work, technology limitations or if they identify as high risk, the Chancellor’s Office has advised that student assistants will be paid for their regularly scheduled hours at their current rate of pay through April 5, 2020. As of April 6, 2020 students may have time available under CPAL, please contact your supervisor or Administrative Services Manager for guidance.

What if I don’t have the technology support or equipment I need to work from home?

Work with your supervisor directly regarding your situation. Consult with the ITS webpage outlining technology options for working remotely.

I’m on a leave of absence unrelated to the COVID-19 situation. What does this mean for me?

If staff or managers on leave have any questions, contact Roxanna Roa Mireles at (562) 985-8259 or

Does my CalPERS health plan provide me with access to a doctor over the phone or via video chat?

Due to the COVID-19 situation, you may not feel comfortable visiting your local urgent care or your physician’s office. Our health plans recognize this, and have expanded their telemedicine offerings during this time. For information regarding each health plan’s specific access to care options, please visit the link for your plan below. You may also call your health plan at the member services number listed on your ID card.

What resources is the CSU offering systemwide for employees impacted by COVID-19?

The CSU understands that many employees have been affected by this pandemic, and wants to offer assistance and support. They have consolidated COVID-19 information concerning leaves/salary continuation, payroll, benefits, and retirement on the Coronavirus CSU Employee Resources web page

I still have questions? What do I do?

Contact your Administrative Services Manager or appropriate administrator.

The following resources are also available: