The Manage Groups tool is used to create group work areas for users. Groups can be used to organize users’ work on projects or assignments, or to create special work areas for users with different learning needs.
Users can belong to any number of groups in the same course. For example, a user could belong to a group for each class project, a special interest discussion group, and a group for advanced users all at the same time. Each group can have its own discussion forums, dropbox folders, and locker area to work in. Members of groups can be graded as a team or individually.
Access the Manage Groups Tool
Do one of the following to access the Manage Groups tool:
- Add Groups on the navigation bar (See Navigation and Navbars for more information)
- Click Edit Course on the navigation bar, and select Groups under Learner Management.
Set Up a Group Discussion
- From the Manage Groups page, click the “New Category” button. Enter a Category Name. Enter a Description of the category.
- Select an “Enrollment Type.” See Enrollment Types for more information.
- Specify the “Number of Groups” to create or the Number of Users per group depending on the Enrollment Type you chose.
- Select “Auto-Enroll New Users” if you want users to be enrolled in groups automatically (only available for "Groups of #" or "# of Groups").
- Select “Randomize” users in groups if you want users to be placed in groups randomly. If this option is not chosen, users are placed alphabetically based on the classlist (only available for "Groups of #" or "# of Groups").
- Select “Set up Discussion Areas” if you want to associate discussion areas with the groups in the category.
- Select “Set up Locker” if you want to create a shared locker area for each group in order “to share files with each other.
- Select “Set up Dropbox” if you want to associate Dropbox folders with the groups in the category.
- Click “Create.”