You can enter grades in another application and import them into BeachBoard using a CSV file. You can also create new grade items through an import file by adding a column to the file.
The import file must follow a specific standard format. We recommend that you first set up your grade book in BeachBoard even if you want to enter grades in a CSV file. You can then use the Export Grades option to create an appropriately structured file.
Note: Please make sure you are using a BeachBoard supported browser.
Please make sure grade items do not have the same exact name as any grade categories, as this will cause an error when uploading.
Export Grade Items to a CSV File
Note: Do not use the Google Chrome browser to export grades.
- From the Enter Grades page, click Export.
- Select whether you would like to export items for All Users or Groups and click Apply. If you select Groups, you will be asked to select which group you would like export items for.
- Select Org Defined ID, Username, or Both as the Key Field you want to use to identify users.
- Select Points grade, Weighted grade, and/or Grade Scheme as the Grade Values you wish to export.
- Select Last Name, First Name, Email, and/or Group Membership as the User Details you wish to export.
- Select the Grade Items you want to export.
- Click Export to CSV or Export to Excel and use your browser’s save dialog to save the file to appropriate location. Note: We recommend exporting to CSV if you intend on reimporting the file.
Note: Grade items that contain French characters do not display correctly in Microsoft Excel. Do not correct the characters in the CSV file if you want to import the file back into BeachBoard. Use Notepad if you want characters to display correctly.
- Even if you're creating new grade items in Excel, it is best to export your grades first and modify the CSV file exported from BeachBoard.
- When you are working with a BeachBoard exported file, be sure to click File > Save As and ensure the format/file type is set to Comma Separated Values (.csv).
- Keep the End of Line Indicator column as the last column of the spreadsheet. Do not delete it.
- When you are adding a new grade item in the CSV file be sure to add the words "Points Grade" after the name of the grade item.
Import Grade Items
For information on properly formatting your imports, see the File Format and Importing Grades D2L support page.
- From the Enter Grades page, click Import.
- If you would like to see a sample CSV template for an import, click on the sample file provided in the tool. However, we recommend you export the grade items you wish to edit via the Export Grade Items to a CSV File section, make edits in the export, save the file, then reimport the edited file into BeachBoard.
- Click Browse. Locate and upload the file you want to import.
- If you created grade items in the CSV that are not already in BeachBoard, check Create a new grade item when an unrecognized item is referenced.
- Click Continue.
- The next screen will flag errors and provide warning messages associated with the import, and click Continue. Note: Fields with errors are not imported.
- Confirm your changes and click Import.