Creating a Custom Widget
To create a custom widget:
- Navigate to the course in BeachBoard in which you want to create a widget.
- Click on the Edit Course button in the upper-right of the screen.
- Under Site Setup, click on the Widgets link.
- Click on the Create Widget button.
- On the Properties tab that appears, enter a name for the new widget.
- If desired, click on Release Conditions to specify criteria that allow only certain users to view the widget (i.e. only Instructors).
The release conditions most likely to apply to widgets are as follows:
Group Enrollment: Users must belong to the selected group to see the widgets associated with the condition.
Org Unit Enrollment: Users must belong to the selected org unit to see the widgets associated with the condition.
Section Enrollment: Users must belong to the selected section within your course to see the widgets associated with the condition.
Role in Current Org Unit: Users must be enrolled in your course as a certain role to see the widgets associated with the condition.
- To specify one of these release conditions for a widget, click on Create and Attach, specify a Condition Type and Condition Details, and then click Create.
- Click on the Content tab to design the appearance and functionality of the new widget. Use the indicated buttons to insert embed code, images, Quicklinks, formatted text, and HTML code.
- If desired, click on the Customize Widget Style button to determine more advanced settings such as the background color and border of the new widget.
- Be sure to save regularly to avoid losing your progress, and when finished, click Save and Close.
Editing a Custom Widget
- Navigate to your course on BeachBoard.
- Click on Edit Course in the navigation bar.
- Under Site Setup, click on Widgets.
- Click on the Custom Widgets tab if it has not already been selected.
- Click on the pencil icon for the widget you’d like to edit.