Canvas Course Merge
Cross-listed and multiple-sectioned courses can be merged in Canvas. Merging courses combines student enrollments from multiple sections (“Source” courses) into a single course environment. Merging courses saves instructors time by allowing them to administer multiple sections of a course through a single shell instead of needing to manage separate environments for multiple sections.
- A course merge will not merge course content. It will only merge the course enrollment. It is recommended that course merge requests be submitted before building content for a course.
- Once courses are merged you can copy content from another course to the new course.
- If an instructor is requesting that their course be merged with another instructor’s course, all instructors involved must send in consent to allow completion of the merge request.
Request a Course Merge
Gather the information listed below and complete the Course Merge Request Form. Please allow up to 48 hours to process a course merge request.
Canvas SIS ID
- Log into Canvas and access one of your courses from your Dashboard.
- Select "Settings" on the left navigation panel.
- Under the "Course Details" tab, copy the SIS ID of the course shell that you would like to include in the course merge (ex. CO_2223_ACCT_470_01_10206).
- Provide a title for the new course, for example, “PSY 100 Sections 1-3.” This will be the name of the “Target” course.