Pilot Program Fall 2020 and Spring 2021
In collaboration with the College of Business and College of Education, this initiative is currently being PILOTED for a future campus-wide rollout.
Using a new IMPORT GRADES button in the Faculty Center/PeopleSoft application, instructors will have the ability to transfer students' final grades from their BeachBoard grade book directly into Faculty Center (Peoplesoft).
BeachBoard Set Up Instructions
Prepare your course for the grade import. Instructions are provided in various formats:
- Follow the steps in the accordion menu below.
- Download the PDF.
- Watch this video tutorial:
1. Set Course Grade Scheme Symbol
Log in to BeachBoard and select the course for which you would like to transfer grades. Then, follow the steps below:
- Click “Grades” on your course home page navigation menu.
- Click “Settings.”
- Click the “Org Unit Display Options” tab.
- Make sure “Grade scheme symbol” is checked.
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the page.
2. Choose Calculated or Adjusted Grade
When importing grades from your BeachBoard grade book to PeopleSoft, you must choose to import from Calculated Final Grade or Adjusted Final Grade.
- Navigate to the Grades Settings page if you are not already there. Select the “Calculations Options” tab.
- Scroll down to the “Final Grade Released” section. Choose which final grade should be made available for importing into PeopleSoft.
- The Calculated Final Grade setting is the default setting. This will calculate each student’s grade based on how your grade book is set up in BeachBoard.
- If you choose Adjusted Final Grade, it's perhaps because some grades need to be manually edited. For example, to apply a curve, follow the steps in the next section (after you save these changes).
- For reference, here is a visual of where you can see these grade values in your BeachBoard grade book:
- Click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.
3. Set Up Adjusted Final Grades
If you selected to release Adjusted Final Grade in the previous section, do the following to fill in values for each student. This will transfer all grade values of the Calculated Final Grade column to the Adjusted Final Grade column.
- Go to your BeachBoard course home page and click “Grades” from the navigation menu.
- Click the “Manage Grades” tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to find “Final Adjusted Grade." Click on the inverted caret to open the drop down menu. Select “Enter Grades”.
- The ”Final Grades" page will appear. Select “Transfer All” from the context menu.
- Click on “Yes” at the Confirmation screen.
- Modify values in the Final Adjusted Grade column in your grade book wherever applicable.
- Press “Save and Close” at the bottom of the page.
After you complete the above steps in your BeachBoard course, log in to the course roster in PeopleSoft. Press the button to import grades into PeopleSoft.
Faculty Center / PeopleSoft Instructions
Submit Final Grades
After following the BeachBoard set up instructions above, log in to the Faculty Center, navigate to your course and select the Import Grades button.
Watch this video for a quick overview of the process:
This frameset document contains:
Troubleshooting Error Messages
When you press the “Import Grades” button in Faculty Center, you might receive an error. Below are examples of error messages and how to resolve them.
No grades found for this class (XXXXX). This class has not been set-up to release grades and/or the Final Adjusted Grades have not been entered yet.
This error happens for one (1) of the following reasons:
- The “Grade scheme symbol” setting is unchecked for your BeachBoard class. To resolve this, see above Step 1, “Set course grade scheme symbol” and Step 2, “Choose Calculated or Adjusted Grade.”
- You have chosen to release the Final Adjusted Grade for your BeachBoard class, but these values are not filled out in your BeachBoard grade book. To resolve this, see above Step 3, “Setup Adjusted Final Grades.” If you decide to release the Final Calculated Grade instead of the Final Adjusted Grade, see above Step 2, “Choose Calculated or Adjusted Grade.”
No grades were returned. BeachBoard internal course ID not found for this class (XXXX).
This error happens when your BeachBoard class is set up in a way that is not expected. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your course subject, course number, section number, and the text or screenshot of the error message. ATS will review your BeachBoard class setup. You might have to enter final grades into Faculty Center manually to meet the deadline of entering final grades in Faculty Center.
Error occurred when retrieving grades for XXXXX: [error message details]
This error happens when something unexpected happens. This could be due to an issue with the network, a server, or something else. Try using the Import Grades button again in about 15 minutes. If the error persists, please send an email to email@example.com with your course subject, course number, section number, and the text or screenshot of the error message. ATS will troubleshoot the issue. You might have to enter final grades into Faculty Center manually to meet the deadline of entering final grades in Faculty Center.
This is a merged class. Merged classes cannot be imported at this time.
Enter final grades manually in Faculty Center