You are here

Travel Guidelines

Support for travel to disseminate scholarship, enhance professional development, and expand the global reach of curricular offerings and student learning is important to the mission of CSULB.

We are fortunate that the budget situation seems to have stabilized; however, previous budget reductions have not been fully restored and CSULB must continue to manage travel resources carefully.

Guidelines for travel authorization below apply to all student, faculty, and staff university-affiliated travel. Guidelines apply regardless of funding source (state, external funding, auxiliary, and non-state, foundation, etc., even personal if university-affiliated).

CSU Travel Restrictions--Assembly Bill 1887

Effective Jan. 1, 2017, AB1887--California law restricts state agencies from requiring its employees to travel to any state that has enacted a law that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. This legislation introduced certain travel restrictions for University travelers, and detailed information can be found at:

Any travel to Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, and West Virgina must be reviewed and approved by the Dean/AVP. Clearly state the reason(s) for an exception and forward the travel request to the Provost Office for final approval.

Travel Guidelines Applicable to All Divisions


COVID-19 Travel Restriction Update: Effective July 1, 2021.

  • Travel within California may be approved by the Manager and/or ASM.
  • Travel outside of California but within the United States must be approved by a Dean or Associate VP.
  • AB 1887 prohibited States: 
    a. Travel to AB 1887 prohibited states, where legislative exceptions are met, which requires level VP approval.​​

1. Enforcement of California law, including auditing and revenue collection.

2. Litigation

3. To meet contractual obligations incurred before January 1, 2017.

4. To comply with requests by the federal government to appear before committees.

5. To participate in meetings or training required by a grant or required to maintain grant funding.

6. To complete job-required training necessary to maintain licensure or similar standards required for holding a position, in the event that comparable training cannot be obtained in California or a different state not subject to the travel prohibition.

7. For the protection of public health, welfare, or safety, as determined by affected agency, department, board, authority, or commission, or by the affected legislative office.

b. Travel to AB 1887 prohibited states, where legislative exceptions are not met, requires the President’s approval. ​

  • International travel requests will be routed to the divisional Vice President for recommendations. President will review those recommendations and make the final approval.

The President has designated the Provost the responsibility to review and approve all risk travel.

U.S. State Department has provided the following guidance on international travel: The campus also has to adhere to travel restrictions outlined in CSURMA High Hazardous Country List and War Risk Country List.

Level 1 - Exercise Normal Precautions and Level 2 - Exercise Increased Caution

The Provost delegated authority to the VP, Deans, AVP and their designee for destinations.

Level 1 – Exercise Normal Precautions and Level 2 – Exercise Increased Caution and are not listed on the CSURMA High Hazardous Country List.  It is recommended that you consult with the Center for International Education for the latest updates on the travel concerns prior to traveling to countries with Levels 1 and 2. 

Level 3 - Reconsider Travel and Level 4 – Do Not Travel

The Provost reviews and approve travel with recommendation from the Center for International Education.

Risk Travel Authorization

Risk travel includes travel to a destination with

The President has designated the Provost the responsibility to review and approve all risk travel.

  • Level 1 and 2 that are on CSURMA High Hazardous Country List 
  • Level 3 and 4 and/or CSURMA War Risk  Hazardous Country List
  • Travel to destination with Level 4 and/or CSURMA’s War Risk Countries list will not be approved.
  • Student travel to destinations on Level 3 or CSURMA’s High Hazardous may be considered, but travel to Level 4 and/or War Risk Countries will not normally be approved.

Additional Considerations for International Travel

Employees are strongly encouraged to register with the U.S. State Department  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP is a system utilized by the State Department to provide information on changing conditions in foreign locations and assist with emergencies.

Any proposal for risk travel, with or without students, must follow these steps:

  • Employee completes the travel request and international travel information (PDF) forms.
  • Employee submits travel request to appropriate division administrator for review.
  • Prior to division’s approval, each division consults with the Center for International Education ( on safety precautions and, if necessary, seeks input from Risk Management. Provide 7-10 working days for processing time.
  • CIE forwards its recommendations to the appropriate division administrator.
  • If approved, the Division office forwards the request to the Provost for final review and approval.
  • If approved, the Provost’s office forwards the travel request to Risk Management for securing FLIP insurance (

Risk Travel Request Due Dates

All travel on university business must be authorized in advance. No travel expenditures are authorized until the travel request has been approved.

Risk travel requests must be received by Academic Affairs prior to departure as follows:

Travel Guidelines

Professional Conferences and Meetings

Faculty and staff may be supported for travel to professional conferences or meetings if they are providing a significant presentation, playing a leadership role in the event or attending at the request of a senior manager or dean for purposes of specific skill enhancement.

International travel to professional conferences or meetings must involve an exceptionally high-profile presentation or award at an important international meeting or its equivalent. A description of the presentation or leadership role and the significance of the professional meeting must be provided, unless the dean or vice president determines this unnecessary. Individuals traveling without requesting reimbursement may not have to meet presentation guidelines, if approved by the dean and/or vice president.

Absence from Class

Deans are responsible for ensuring that student needs will be appropriately met during an instructor’s absence. Traveling faculty are expected to consult with their department chair and complete the “Absence from Class” form to identify how their class(es) will proceed in their absence. The form must be signed by the department chair and attached to the travel request when it is forwarded to the Dean. After review, the Dean should retain the “Absence from Class” form at the College Office and then forward the signed travel authorization to the appropriate official/unit.

Student Travel

Students traveling must be participating in an approved university related educational experience. Student travel includes student educational exchanges at partner institutions.

Faculty/Staff leading student travel are expected to consider and plan carefully for students’ safety and welfare, and are expected to consult with their department chair on their plans. 

Each dean is responsible for ensuring that the safety and welfare of student travelers have been carefully considered and planned before requests are approved. Student travel to destinations with high hazard/war risk countries designation or a current U.S. State Department travel warning or alert will not normally be approved.

Student travel will normally be supported from Instructionally Related Activities, participant fees through CPIE faculty-led study abroad trips and courses, or other non-General Fund sources. Travel may be supported in an amount and manner consistent with the award or project.

Funding Support

University support is limited to no more than $3,000 per traveler, per trip (except for direct expenses from grant/contracts G-funds, centers C-funds, and donations M- and N-funds; see below).

External grants or contracts, centers, donations and CPIE

Travel supported by external grants or contracts (G-funds, centers C-funds, and donations M- and N- funds) must be consistent with requirements of external funding agencies and internal policies.

Faculty travel may include professional conferences, if consistent with requirements of external funding agencies. 

Staff travel funded through self-support resources must serve an essential purpose and may be funded in the amount and manner consistent with the purpose of the travel.

CSU maximum rate for in-state and out-of-state lodging

Reimbursement for lodging is limited to a maximum of $275 per night. Exceptions may be approved if:

  • Lodging is in a conference hotel at a conference rate, or
  • Lodging is in a city with higher published limits for US federal employee travel.