Scenters-Zapico, PhD in Rhetoric, Writing, and the Teaching of English from the University of Arizona, has taught at The Little School (Asturias, Spain), Northern Arizona University, the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi, and the University of Texas at El Paso, serving in a range of WPA positions, from UWC, WAC, PhD and MA program director to GWAR Coordinator. In 2014 he came to CSULB, where he is the inaugural Director of the Writing Across the Curriculum Program, and Professor in the English Department. His work centers on empowering students to becoming strong critical thinkers and writers, and on working with faculty across the disciplines to learn how to integrate informed writing pedagogies into their classes. As an ethnographer, he is interested in traditional and digital literacies, focusing on how we make meaning for ourselves, how we communicate meaning to others, and how social, economic, cultural, educational, and political dynamics affect what we learn and understand, and consequently how we communicate or are restricted from doing so. He enjoys playing with his four dogs, hanging out with his family, and sitting in the shade of his lemon tree drinking cafe from his favorite cup.
Some of his scholarly portfolio include:
- Two books,
- Identity: A Reader for Writers, adopted at over 80 schools across the country (Oxford UP, 2013)
- The groundbreaking ethnographic study, Generaciones’ Narratives: Traditional and Electronic Literacy Narratives on the U.S.-Mexico Borderlands (Generaciones' Narratives" (2010). Computers and Composition Digital Books. Paper 1. https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/usupress_ccdigital/1).
- For four reviews of Generaciones’ Narratives, click
- Twenty-four peer-reviewed articles or chapters in journals or collections ranging from College Composition and Communication and Computers and Composition to Rhetoric Society Quarterly and American Indian Quarterly,
- Eight national and international keynotes or featured speaker talks, ranging from Penn State to the University of Winnipeg, Canada,
- Over fifty conference presentations delivered nationally and internationally,
- Peer reviewer or on the editorial board of thirteen national journal or scholarly presses in several disciplines, including the WAC Clearinghouse Editorial Board