Individual appointments are currently available via Zoom and in-person (SSC RM 160).
The program will continue to hold appointments virtually for the foreseeable future as well as in-person. If you would like to book an appointment, please schedule via Beach Connect. When scheduling, select ‘online academic coaching’ as your reason. Please check your e-mail the night before your appointment for the Zoom link to your appointment.
Check the Academic Coaching Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for more help.
The Academic Coaching program views learning as a life-long process. Students, regardless of their perceived capabilities, are able to learn, grow and develop at all stages of their academic career. We support this vision by providing students, staff, and faculty services to enrich, enhance, and facilitate the learning experience.
Workshops are free and can be tailored to your class or group's needs.
Time Management is often at the root of student success, or lack thereof. Below are some resources aimed at helping you develop a personalized approach to managing your schedule and keeping your priorities in line.
- Watch this video to learn how to manage your time and develop an effective study routine using the PLRS system.
- Use this sheet to help you identify study times throughout the week.
- This week’s focus handout will help you set goals for your week so you can sharpen your focus and stay on track to meeting your goals.
- Covey’s Matrix is a tool designed to help you prioritize. Watch this video about the Matrix and then use the handout to practice yourself!
- Here is a short video on Making Time for Applied Learning, aimed at helping transfer and upper division students think about and make time for learning at a deeper level.
This worksheet is referred to on slide 4 of the above video and may be helpful to use when studying.
Active Learning Strategies
Active Learning and Exam strategies are important aspects of academic performance. Here are several resources to help you deepen your learning and strategize efficiently for upcoming assessments.
- Take this assessment to determine your learning style and to get some quick study tips that will help your better retain information.
- The Active Learning worksheet will help you think through the various levels of learning, preparing your for different types of exam questions. Use it to work through course concepts and study guides or to test your knowledge right before an exam.
- Many students do not think about post exam strategies but there is much to learn about your study after the exam. Use this After the Exam handout to think about the test structure and your study approaches, so that you can fine-tune your preparation for the next exam.
- Preparing for finals can be very stressful. Here are some tips to help you focus your attention and strategize effectively.
- Use this template to focus your lecture notes around your assignment topics.
- Use this form to prepare for final exams.