Campus Community Update #245August 21, 2009
State Budget Closure Days Force Temporary Reduction in Library Hours
Along with the rest of the University, the University Library will be closed during the Fall, 2009 Semester on holidays and, in addition, on the days that have been designated as State Budget Closure Days:
- September 7 (Labor Day)
- September 8 (State Budget Closure Day)
- October 9 (State Budget Closure Day)
- November 2 (State Budget Closure Day)
- November 11 (Veterans Day)
- November 25 (State Budget Closure Day)
- November 26-27 (Thanksgiving Holidays)
The restrictions placed on employee work schedules through State Budget Closure will mean that the University Library's weekly operating hours, among the longest in the CSU system, cannot be sustained with existing staff. It is necessary, therefore, to temporarily reduce service hours by approximately two hours each day, one hour in the morning, and one at evening. The fall 2009 schedule will be:
- Sunday 12:30 P.M. - 11:00 P.M.
- Monday - Thursday 7:45 A.M. - 11:00 P.M.
- Friday 7:45 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
- Saturday 10:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
"We always have tried to offer our students as much access to our collections and services as we could," according to Roman Kochan, Dean and Director of the University Library. "We sincerely regret this reduction, but under the redistribution of staff that's imposed by the budget closure schedule, our staff are stretched too thin to provide the coverage we must have. It may help to know that we continue to have more generous schedule than other CSU libraries. Fullerton, for example, has announced a 9 p.m. closing time on weeknights, and they will be closed Sundays; UC Irvine closes at 9 most nights and is open 1-5 on Sundays."