Scholarship Tips & Suggestions
Scholarship applications with a personal statement and/or short answer response are one of the most important parts of the application process. It allows the readers of the selection committee to know you as an individual. You want the selection committee to become invested in you and your future.
When writing your personal statement/short answer responses, we suggest the following guidelines:
- Be sure to follow the guidelines.
- If there is a word limit, stay as close to it as possible. Do not write a novel. Use 12 point font unless directed otherwise.
- Make sure you answer the question.
- This may sound obvious, but many students go around the questions without ever answering the actual questions. Try rephrasing the question in your answer.
- Write your responses in a Word document.
- Since the application is online or through a fillable PDF, we encourage you to write your personal statement/short responses in a Word document first. Once you have saved and edited your responses, you can copy and paste your responses accordingly.
- Proofread, Proofread, Proofread!
Guides and Handouts
- How to Maximize Your BeachScholarships - Quick-guide on how to maximize your scholarship opportunities.
- How to Search for BeachScholarships - Quick-guide on how to search for scholarships.
- General Application Short Answer Guide - Starting questions to assist with the general application short answer questions.
- BeachScholarships Handout - General BeachScholarships Information and Frequently Asked Questions.