News @ the Beach

Cal State Long Beach Students and Their Parents Excited About Moving Into Residence Halls

Move-In Day at Cal State Long Beach on Saturday was an exciting as well as important milestone for the roughly 2,700 students, and their families, who spent the morning and afternoon moving into their respective dorms in an effort to get settled in prior to classes beginning today (Aug. 25).

For many who moved into the International House as well as the Beachside, Hillside and Parkside student residence halls, it will mark their first time living away from home.

132_0644

CSULB President Jane Close Conoley (r) with freshman Kevin Honsberger after helping him move into his new dorm room Saturday,

Participating in the day was CSULB President Jane Close Conoley, who along with approximately 500 volunteers—many from university athletic teams, sororities, fraternities, as well as administrators and staff members—provided encouragement and a helping hand. Conoley, who her herself is a relative newcomer to CSULB, having officially begun on July 15, greeted a number of students and families, being photographed with many of them and assisting some with the move into their new campus home.

“Welcoming students and their parents to the campus is the great highlight of any academic year,” said Conoley, who noted it was the first time she had been in the dorms. “New beginnings; new opportunities for dreams to be realized and resilience to be built.  I loved move-in day.  It’s a notable day to live our commitment to build a safe and nurturing campus for all.”

CSULB received a university record 83,594 applications for the fall semester and the number of students moving into the dorms represented approximately one-third of the roughly 8,000 newcomers admitted to campus this fall.

One of those was Cesar Acosta, who was a bit anxious about moving into the dorms, but eager to begin the 2014-15 academic year.

132_0646

Cesar Acosta

“I’m pretty excited about being here,’ said Acosta, who is from Los Angeles and transferred to CSULB from El Camino College after spending his freshman year at UC Santa Barbara. “It’s going to be a new experience. I’m going to be on campus all the time and I don’t want to just be locked in my dorm room, so I plan on being involved in a lot of things.”

A history major, Acosta is looking forward to finally having the opportunity to take upper division classes instead of just general education courses. He eventually wants to go on and earn a doctorate degree and then move on to do some kind of research in his field.

In many ways, Move-In Day is an equally big occasion for parents, one of those being Loretta Honsberger, whose family is from Huntington Beach. Her son Kevin, who is entering CSULB as a freshman coming from Marina High School, will be living in the dorms and personally received some move in assistance from President Conoley, which was welcome and no doubt unexpected.

“It’s a very exciting day,” said Loretta. “You worry so much about this day coming and then when it’s finally here you realize there is nothing to worry about. I have a feeling Kevin will enjoy his freedom and making new friends so much that I won’t be surprised if he stays here most of the time. It is comforting to have him close to home because when my daughter went away to school (UC Berkeley) she never came back. She loved the Bay Area so much and then moved up to Seattle, but she plans on coming back to Cal State Long Beach next year to get her master’s degree.”

Kevin, who will be majoring in computer engineering, had a bit of apprehension about moving into the dorm, mostly because he had yet to meet or even have any kind of contact with his new roommate, whose name he learned for the first time Saturday morning.

“I’m excited to see who my roommate is because I’ll potentially have to be with him for the next year, but I’m sure it will be fine,” he said. “As far as being away from home for the first time, we’ll see how it goes. I’m kind of concerned to see how well I can take care of myself, but besides that I think it will be fun.”

With more than 36,000 students—representing 90 countries, 43 states and 56 California counties—CSULB is among the most diverse university campuses in the country. It is a part of the 23-campus California State University system, the largest public higher education system in the nation.