Overarching Goal: Foster an environment, provide infrastructure, and appropriate resources to do state-of-the art applied research, involving students in shared discovery and creation of knowledge, changing the nature of learning; valuing the creative and scholarly contributions of faculty and students, valuing knowledge.
- Workload Re- Allocation: By limiting WTU to 9 and allocating time for research and proposal development and by the RTP process.
- Infrastructure & Sustained Faculty Support:
- Cultural change on all fronts: Change the CSU role in the Master Plan so research resources can be budgeted- use industry workforce needs as leverage for legislative lobbying for change. Use professional/industry supported projects for increasing resources and “real world” understanding;
- Research is necessary for good teaching/learning, research and discovery need to be integrated into curriculum; resource allocation and success needs to be moved away from numbers to quality of the educational experience.
- Required resources and support must be available at all levels: Change resource allocation policies, budget for support personnel for laboratories, budget for maintenance and renewal of resources, licenses, and equipment;
- Ongoing rewards/support required: Develop mechanism to continue supporting faculty after the initial period. Provide funds for laboratory development, research project development, research support on an ongoing basis.
- Develop funding mechanisms such as consortiums and (UC Discovery type) matching grants.
- Develop IP rights, licensing, patents process and knowledge base, as well as personnel to help PIs and faculty. Encourage invention disclosures.
- Internal & External Communication & Collaboration
- Increase Interdisciplinary/Multidisciplinary Collaborations: Change mind set to enable collaboration,
a) on campus,
b) among institutions,
c) with the outside community and industry
- Use Web to inform of opportunities/expertise for communication with constituents
e.g. REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates), research projects, consortiums/collaboration w/industry, other universities, and community projects.
- Use research to develop transferable skills, networking skills, developing contacts for future, building relationships and bridges for:
- Community Service,
- Collaborative research
- Student Success