LONG BEACH, Calif. (Feb. 4, 2019) – More than 90 Long Beach State University accounting students, who are certified by Internal Revenue Service, will provide free tax preparation assistance to families who make $54,000 or less, disabled people, the elderly, students, non-residents and individuals with limited English proficiency.
The free service is part of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance clinic (VITA), which is an IRS-sponsored program.
“Our students get great hands-on experience, and the VITA clients get tax refunds they might otherwise not receive,” said Michael Solt, dean of the College of Business Administration. “VITA really helps the economic vitality of our region and enriches the nature of our collective society.”
Last year, student-volunteers filed more than 1,300 state and federal tax returns, which, combined, totaled to more than $700,000 in refunds.
No appointments are required. Individuals will be served on a first come first serve basis.
People interested in participating should bring the following necessary original documents. No photocopies or pictures of these documents will be accepted.
- Government issued photo ID or driver’s license.
- Original Social Security card or documents of individual taxpayer identification number.
- All W-2’s and 1099’s (if any)
- Other income and expense information
- Students or parents of students bring total tuition fees and expenses paid (form 1098-T)
- Parents bring total expenses paid for child’s daycare if any.
- Day care or dependent care provider’s address, phone and SSN or EIN.
- Bank account and routing number (voided check) for direct deposit of refund.
- Last year’s tax return is helpful, but not required.
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
This frameset document contains:
Downloadable English/Spanish interviews and B-Roll for media use.
Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019
9 a.m. to noon
College of Business
COB Computer Lab
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840-8504 Map of campus
Park in area marked ‘Lot E-1’ on map. Event is located inside building marked ‘COB’ on map. Parking passes are available for media. VITA clients must pay for parking. Vincent Nguyen, VITA coordinator is the point of contact for the event. He can be reached at 714-474-4707
Photo courtesy of Harut Varuzhanyan
About the campus:
Long Beach State Universityis a teaching-intensive, research-driven university committed to providing highly valued undergraduate and graduate degrees critical for success in the globally minded 21st century. Annually ranked among the best universities in the West and among the best values in the entire nation, the university’s eight colleges serve more than 37,500 students. The campus values and is recognized for rich educational opportunities provided by excellent faculty and staff, exceptional degree programs, diversity of its student body, fiduciary and administrative responsibility and the positive contributions faculty, staff, students and more than 300,000 alumni make on society.