May 6, 2004 - Reno, NV
L&SR Literacy and Social Responsibility
Special Interest Group of the International Reading Association
May 6, 2004
The meeting was called to order by President, Cynthia McDermott, on May
6, 2004, following the 2004 L&SR presentation at the Annual Convention
of the International Reading Association. Members in attendance included:
Kaye West (Anderson), Beth Breneman, Eleanor Eskey, Cynthia McDermott,
and Denise Stuart. Handouts were circulated.
Directory. The Board directory
was circulated for up-dating, and some members added their cell phone
numbers. Beth will update the directory, and email it to all members of
Website Elaboration & Conent Coordinator..
Kaye reported on next steps in Web site development. Kaye will be modifying
the resources area to match focus areas on the revised membership brochure.
Kaye will also circulate an e-mail letter to recruit a content coordinator
for the Web site. Beth will provide Kaye with a list of participants at
the L&SR session (2004).
Use of Funds & Fund Raising.
The Board took up the question submitted by treasurer, Dolores Fisette,
regarding the treasury: Shall we maintain the account in Ukiahgiven
that our SIG is not making use of the money? It was suggested that the
$250.00 could be used as seed money. Cynthia McDermott suggested that
the Board initiate some fund raising activities. Cynthia agreed to take
the lead in drafting a piece for the Web site promoting the availability
of $50.00 scholarships to the IRA convention. Kaye has ideas for spreading
the word and would like someone to write up a blurb regarding fund raising
to place on the Web site. Cynthia will brainstorm a list of qualifications
for applicants, but will not be available to work on this until after
June 1. This project could lead to an article in IRAs newsletter,
Program Debriefing. Denise
raised the question about handling repeat presenters. A consensus was
reached to allow repeat presenters but to encourage them to modify their
material/topic in some way to create variety. Eleanor stressed that it
is desirable to have new topics and presenters every year. New leaders
might arise from those who present more than once at our SIG session.
Program Chairs for 2006 & 2007. Greta Nagel and Marsha Thicksten,
both professors at California State University, Long Beach, were unanimously
elected to serve as Program Co-Chairs for 2006 and 2007.
Membership Chair. Carole
Turner agreed to serve as Membership Chair and was unanimously elected.
Duties include spending some time representing the L&SR at the SIG
Booth and recruiting new members. Beth will contact Carole and send her
membership brochures, up-dated SIG responsibilities list, and suggestions
about procedures that have worked in the past.
Social Event for 2005. The
Board discussed whether to plan a social event in 2005. Next years
session will be on Tuesday afternoon in San Antonio. It was agreed to
convene a Business Meeting immediately after the session and plan on dinner
that night. Eleanor commented that reservations are often critical. The
Board agreed that recruiting a SIG member to serve as Social Event coordinator
for 2005 would be desirableperhaps from the 2005 program of presenters.
Failing that, Eleanor agreed to serve as Social Event Coordinator for
Student Board Member.. The
motion was unanimously approved that a new category, Student Member, be
created to serve on the Board of Directors. Denise agreed to invite Joanna
Newton (graduate student) to serve in this capacity.
Board Configuration. Kaye
commented that it is a good idea to contact Board members who have always
been completely inactive. Beth agreed to take the lead in working on this.
Maureen Prenn has asked that her name be withdrawn for the time being
because she has made a career shift to administration.
Kaye suggested that the Board might wish to consider a broader geographic
representation. One possibility might be to elect nine Board Members at
Large. The Board may wish to take up this issue next year.
Electronic Journal.. The
Board unanimously agreed to support Rebecca Kaminski in her endeavor to
develop an electronic journal for the L & SR SIG. Beth will send Rebecca
a package of materials from an IRA Council and SIG Publication session.
Beth will e-mail Rebecca and cc Kaye so that Kaye can follow up in further
communications with Rebecca regarding software, format, and any other
essential technological and editorial considerations. Eleanor and Denise
volunteered to assist by serving as peer reviewers for the journal. It
was agreed that the most effective means of securing peer reviewers is
by inviting targeted professionals and that it might be desirable to recruit
peer reviewers with expertise in a variety of areas if Rebecca wishes
to do so.
Delegates' Assembly. Beth
proposed that the L&SR SIG try to send a representative to the Delegates
Assembly every year. Once the program is established, Denise will try
to recruit a Delegates Assembly Representative for 2005. It was
agreed that this is a desirable way to involve new members. Denise pointed
out that it is also a good idea to involve experienced SIG members in
this activity. The specific IRA resolutions on the ballot might also influence
considerations about an appropriate representative to send.
The meeting was adjourned.
Beth Breneman, Secretary
to Minutes Index]