Programs - 2003
Ethical Ideas and the Books that Support Them
by Laura Tillotson, Book Links
Learning to decide what’s right and wrong is an important
part of growing up, and children need help realizing how their choices
affect others. In this program, the editor of Book Links
magazine will share a number of picture books, novels, and nonfiction
titles that can help children start to think about the process of ethical
decision-making. Some of the books will help readers explore their own
feelings about ethical problems, others show everyday people making good
choices, and still others present realistic dilemmas with no clear right
or wrong answers.
Exploring Ethics with Children’s
Laura Tillotson, Book Links magazine
1. Stock, Gregory. The Kids’ Book of Questions. 1988. 208p. Workman,
paper, $6.95 (0-89480-631-9).
2. Mochizuki, Ken. Passage to Freedom: The Sugihara Story.
Illus. by Dom Lee. 1997. 32p. Lee & Low, $16.95 (1-880000-49-0).
3. Bang, Molly. Nobody Particular: One Woman’s Fight
to Save the Bays. 2000. 48p. Holt, $18 (0-8050-5396-4).
4. Barron, T. A. The Hero’s Trail: A Guide for a Heroic
Life. 2002. 144p. Philomel, $14.99 (0-399-23860-3).
5. Hoose, Phillip. It’s Our World, Too! Young People
Who Are Making a Difference. 1993; reissued 2002. Farrar,
paper, $13 (0-374-33622-9). [An interview with Phillip Hoose appears in
the June/July 2002 issue of Book Links. Also
see Hoose’s We Were There, Too!: Young People in U.S.
6. Tillage, Leon. Leon’s Story. Illus.
by Susan L. Roth. 1997. 112p. Farrar, $15 (0-374-34379-9); Sunburst, paper,
7. Jiménez, Francisco. The Circuit: Stories from the
Life of a Migrant Child. 1997. 128p. Houghton, $15 (0-395-9702-1).
Also see the sequel, Breaking Through. [An interview
with Francisco Jiménez appears in the December 2001 / January 2002
issue of Book Links.]
8. Joosse, Barbara. Stars in the Darkness. 2002.
32p. Chronicle, $14.95 (0-8118-2168-4).
9. Cole, Kenneth. No Bad News. Photos by John
Ruebartsch. 2001. 40p. Whitman, $15.95 (0-8075-4743-3). [Also see Sharon
Dennis Wyeth’s Something Beautiful.]
10. Williams, Vera B. Amber Was Brave, Essie Was Smart.
2001. 72p. HarperCollins, $15.95 (0-06-029460-4).
11. Clements, Andrew. The Jacket. Illus. by
McDavid Henderson. 2002. 96p. Simon & Schuster, $12.95 (0-689-82595-1).
12. DeFelice, Cynthia. Weasel. 1990.128p. HarperTrophy,
paper, $4.99 (0-380-71358-6). [An article on using Weasel
in the classroom appeared in the May 1996 issue of Book Links.]
13. Bauer, Marion Dane. On My Honor. 1986. 96p.
Clarion, $15 (0-89919-439-7); Yearling, paper, $4.99 (0-440-46633-4).