New Rideshare Services for Students, Faculty and StaffPublished: June 15, 2009
CSULB’s Rideshare Program has a Web site with quick and easy to use on-line forms and links where you can apply for membership, record your monthly commute, check your account points balance, and request rewards for your points.
Faculty, staff and student assistants can earn 1 point ($1 value) per day for their sustainable commute or elect to receive a $50 commuter cash certificate good toward the purchase of MTA, OCTA or LBT transit passes. Students who are not employed at the University can record their monthly commute and be automatically enterd to win $50, $20, or $10 Beach Bucks each month. The site has a link to show how to put the Beach Bucks on your ID card, turning it into a debit card, as well as a list of on- and off-campus locations that accept the card, such as Legends on 2nd St. and Domino’s Pizza.
Starting this summer and fall, look for:
• New CSULB vanpools to help staff who live 20 miles or more from campus save hundreds of dollars each month on their commute.
• New bike lanes on Atherton AND throughout the campus. Both projects due to be completed by Fall 2009.
• Traffic Skills 101–a free bike commute class, complete with on-road personal training, to safely get you on the road to better health.
• FREE bike checks and tune-ups on the Quad by Jax Bikes the second Wednesday of each month from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• The BEST Carpool Ridematch system ever–Zimride–a facebook embedded system to help you make better informed carpool partner choices that are specific to your needs. Better yet, Zimride actually searches the ridematch system for you each night and e-mails you in the morning when new carpool matches are found.
• Zipcar – A car-share system that allows good drivers 18 and over to “rent” a car anywhere from a few minutes to a few days–with all gas, insurance, and parking fees included! And because they’re world-wide, you can use the service while studying abroad. Zipcar is also great for vanpoolers and carpoolers who need a personal vehicle to run quick errands or drive to meetings.
• Major Campus Connection shuttle improvements starting Fall 2009; Because the U-PASS covers all off-campus Long Beach commute needs, shuttles will be now on-campus only, with more and better service. An AVL system tells you on your hand-held phone or desktop computer in REAL TIME exactly where your shuttle bus is, how full it is and how many minutes it will take to reach your stop. This should come in handy especially on rainy days or at night after dark.
• Got U-PASS? Got graphic design skills? Are you an aspiring videographer, model or actor? Starting in fall, you could win fame and fortune in our U-PASS print ad and commercial production competitions.
For further information on any of these programs and services, contact the Rideshare office at 562/985-4091.