Malamuth to Speak at 38th Annual Psych Day at CSULB on April 28Published: April 15, 2010
On Wednesday, April 28, the 38th annual Psychology Day will be held at CSULB. One of the biggest events on campus, Psych Day encompasses workshops for students, a research competition, a potluck lunch, games, a keynote speaker, and a fair for local graduate schools, internship providers, and volunteer organizations.
“I have been incredibly impressed with the work, effort and dedication of the student officers who play the primary role in putting Psych Day together,” said Dustin Thoman, an assistant professor in the Department of Psychology who also serves as a faculty advisor to the group. “These students, who are among our department’s highest achievers, genuinely enjoy studying psychology and enjoy the full-day event where they get to share what they love with the rest of campus.”
The event’s keynote speaker will be Neil Malamuth from UCLA, an expert in social and evolutionary psychology whose work has shed light on a number of basic science and applied social issues related to peoples’ interactions with mass media.
“I expect this talk to be engaging for both students and faculty because Dr. Malamuth’s topics of study so easily related to everyday life and social issues that we can all understand,” said Thoman, “and his research provides a great deal of insight that leads to a deeper understanding of issues.”
The schedule of events is:
– 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Fair and games in Psychology Building Quad, with visiting volunteer organizations, internship programs, and graduate schools
– 10 a.m.-noon: Career Development Center workshops, Psychology building, Room 332
– 10-11 a.m.: How to find an Internship, Psychology building, Room 332
– 11-noon: Online Job Search Tools and Social Networking Tips, Psychology building, Room 332
– Noon-2 p.m.: Research Poster Competition in Psychology Building Quad
– Noon-2 p.m.: Potluck in Psychology building, Room 101; a $4 donation to fund next year’s activities is requested
– 2:30-3:30 p.m.: Peer advising speaker panel location in the Beach Auditorium, University Student Union (panel topic to be determined)
– 4-5 p.m. – Keynote speaker Neil Malamuth, Beach Auditorium