Avanzando through College is a learning community to support incoming Latino students that are Freshmen, Sophomores, or first years transfer students at CSULB. The program helps students navigate the higher education system @ the Beach and provides skill-building for educational success to save time and money. The scholarship consists of 14 two-hour skill-building workshops over a one year period.
Through team-building activities, monthly workshops, and events, students:
- Learn about support services relevant to their experiences.
- Get to know a great group of people.
- Develop skills and knowledge to better navigate the college-going experience.
- Identify new opportunities.
- Pay it forward to the CSULB campus by supporting Salud es Cultura day.
Workshops are structured around discussion and group learning, covering important skills and offering advice related to college life, including:
- Building relationships.
- Mental health awareness.
- Studying skills.
- Time management.
- Financial awareness.
- After completing each semester in the program, students receive a stipend to support their educational expenses.
Apply now! Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, with first-come, first-serve policy for all eligible students. The application deadline is September 6, 2019.
Avanzando uses a culturally tailored curriculum created by UnidosUS. The program is open to incoming first-year, second year and transfer students Latinx students. Admission preference is given to students who are the first generation in their families to attend college in the US.
Goals & Objectives
Avanzando through College has three goals:
- Help new students identify student services
- Improve academic performance
These goals are supported by providing a human support system, as well as skills, tools, information and knowledge via interactive workshops and activities.
Welcome to our Avanzando through College @ CSULB 2019-2020 cohort!
Mara Bird, PhD
Assistant Project Coordinator
Web & Graphic Designer