The GSRC offers 45-minute writing consultations for CSULB post-baccalaureate/graduate students.
All masters, credential, certificate, and doctoral students can schedule an appointment with our Graduate Writing Specialist for one-on-one assistance with all areas of writing, including:
- Academic writing (course papers, dissertation/thesis, conference papers, etc.)
- Funding applications, including grants and fellowships
- Graduate application materials (statement of purpose/personal statement, CV/résumé, teaching statement, writing sample, etc.)
Graduate writing support is not a paper-editing or “proofreading” service. Instead, we offer guidance, tutoring, and support with the following:
- Planning, drafting, and organizing papers
- Word choice and semantics
- Argumentation and rhetoric
- Self-editing and proofreading strategies
- Overcoming persistent grammar and usage problems
- Appropriate style, tone, and “voice”
- Clarity and conciseness
- Citation of sources and avoiding plagiarism
Our goal is to help students develop long-term, effective skills that will strengthen students’ academic and professional writing.