New Student Veterans
Benefits certification is the most common reason student veterans and dependents work with our office.
To be certified for G.I. Bill benefits, all student veterans or dependents who are new to CSULB must gather the following documents and bring them to the Veterans Affairs Office, FND-220. (Please note that we will only accept your paperwork when you present all appropriate documents together and complete.)
Documents Required for G.I. Bill Certification
- Certificate of Eligibility
- This is a letter from the VA that details the type of benefit you have, your percentage of eligibility, and the amount of educational benefits you have remaining.
- If you have not yet received your Certificate of Eligibility, complete an Application for VA Educational benefits here. We will fax this document to the VA for you when you bring in all the other required documents. You may also complete an online application here. Be sure to print your completed application to bring to our office.
- Note: Dependants will not have this document
- Student Responsibility Form
- This form details your responsibilities as a CSULB student using VA Educational benefits. Print, complete, and sign this form.
- Request for Certification
- This form provides the Veterans Affairs Services Office with your current semester enrollment information. Print, complete, and sign the form.
- You must complete a Request for Certification EVERY SEMESTER. Continuing students are encouraged to submit the request online here.
Other Forms You May Need
- Graduate students must submit an Academic Plan. If you do not have this, see your department graduate advisor.
- If you are taking classes at another school, fill out the Request for Parent School Letter form.
- If you are a reservist using Chapters 1606 or 1607, you'll need to submit a DD2384 (NOBE).
Any changes to your academic plan or class schedule must be reported to the School Certifying Official immediately.
- Use the Add/Drop form for schedule changes.
- Contact the Veterans Affairs Services Office for changes in academic plan.
Important Policies affecting Veterans. Please Read!!