Finance Data Warehouse LBFDN PI Report Guide
Login and Setup your Dashboard
View the guide on How to Login and Setup Dashboard Settings.
Five Steps to Report Results
After you login and establish your Sponsored Programs Dashboard defaults, you are ready to generate the report. There are five main activities involved with report production:
- Step One: Select the report
- Step Two: Set the report filters
- Step Three: Set the report format
- Step Four: Drill through report data
- Step Five: Capture report results (print / download)
Step One: Select the Report
- From the Sponsored Programs Dashboard, click on the PI Tab.
Select the Expense Summary by Project (5 Columns) link.
Step Two: Set Report Filters
Note: If you have previously run this and saved as your default, (see below section on Save Selection and Save as Page Default), Steps Two and Three are automatic. Proceed to Step Four.
Select the following report filters (search criteria):
- Fiscal Year = Current year ie: 2013 – (Click on the down arrow to choose a value from a dropdown field.)
- Period = 12 (Click on the down arrow to choose a value from a dropdown field.)
- Fund = Select all your "G" and "RS" Funds here. (Click on the ellipsis to choose value(s) from a multi-select field. (Please see below for instructions on how to use Multi Selector options.)
- When all your report filters are selected, click Go to generate the report.
How to use the Multi Selector options
Click the multi-select icon to search for report criteria in a specific field (for example, Fund).
- In the Match field, select the appropriate Match operator. The two choices you will probably use most often are begins with and contains.
- Enter your search criteria in the box to the right of Match. For example, you could do a search for a value containing the search string G16. Hit Go to start the match process. If your search criterion produces more than 256 results, hit the More button to display the next group of 256 choices.
- Select the value by double clicking on it or by highlighting it and using the selection buttons. (See below)
- All "X" values must be deleted from the Selected box. Double Click on the X and it will be eliminated.
- When you are done setting all report filters, hit OK to return to the report page.
Use the buttons described below to move items from the Choices Returned box into the Selected box.
||Select all items listed
||Select highlighted item(s)
||De-select highlighted item(s)
||De-select all items
- Double-click on any value to move it into or out of the Selected box
- Hold down the Shift key and click on the first and last values to select a continuous range of items
- Hold down the Ctrl key and click to select on non-continuous items.
Step Three: Set the Report Format
Report results are delivered to your screen based on your report filters. However, you need to change what information is displayed in the 5 different columns as well as the report view.
Changing Column Content with Column Selectors
Use column selectors to change what columns appear in your report. Fields that are attached to column selectors are indicated by a yellow label in the output results.
Select the following:
- Column 1 = Fund Fdescr
- Column 2 = Porj Fdescr
- Column 3 = Award End Dt
- Column 4 = Dept Fdescr
- Column 5 = Acct Fdescr
- Once your Columns and Report View are selected hit Go. Your new results are displayed.
How to Read Your Report
||Total Amount you have to spend. (Based on the FY and Accounting period specified)
|Tot Actuals (Total Actuals)
||Total Amount you have spent to date. (Based on the FY and Accounting period specified)
|Tot Enc (Total Encumbrances)
||Total Purchase Order amount still open, not invoiced.
|BBA (Balance Budget Available)
||Amount you have left to spend.
||Percentage you have spent.
Note: Most grants/contracts are different from one another and each is often regulated by its own unique budgeting, expenditure, and reporting regulations. If you have any questions about the specific budgeting requirements of your grant/contract and how they are translated into the data warehouse reporting system please contact your Grants & Contracts Administrator.
Save Selection and Save as Page Default
Once you are satisfied with the report results, the next step is to save this selection as your page default. What this means is that every time you log into the DWH, select the SP Dashboard, the PI tab, then the Expense Summary by Project 5 Column Report option this page and all the Report Filters, Column Selectors, and Report View will be set and your results will automatically come up.
To Save as your Page Default, complete the following steps:
- First, generate a report that has the Report Filters, Column Selectors, and Report View that you want to store.
- Click Go to execute your selection and to display results.
From the Page Options menu, choose Save Current Selections > For Me ...
You will be prompted for the following:
- Name – Enter a name that helps you identify the options you've saved.
- Choose Make this my default for this page.
- Click OK.
Step Four: Drill Through Report Data
When you place your cursor over an item and it appears as a hyperlink, you are able to drill on that items detail. Drilling on a hyperlinked numeric value will take you to the details of the selected amount.
Drill down on a hyperlinked numeric value.
Results are displayed:
At the bottom of the screen use the icons to move forward and back through the returned results. The arrow with asterisk button will display data through the last page if selected.
Sort data by individual columns or multiple columns.
- Sort on an individual column by clicking on the column label.
- Sort by multiple columns by holding down the control key while selecting the column titles. Release the control key to execute the sort.
- Click the Return link to return to the parent report.
Step Five: Download Data/Print Report
There are 3 "action links" that appear at the bottom of a dashboard page or individual reports. These can be used to Refresh the page, Print the Report, or Download the Report to Excel.
Downloading to Excel
This option downloads the data from a selected request and saves it to an Excel file with extra visual formatting.
- Formulas are not downloaded. The value in a cell is downloaded as that value, not as a formula.
- Monetary columns download as numbers. Values with commas are formatted as numbers and retain formatting that was displayed on the dashboard; that is, if two decimal places are shown, then those appear in Excel.
- Monetary columns without a comma are formatted as general, which is a number but with no specific number format. The value does not change but decimal places are suppressed if zeros appear to the right of the decimal place.
- Columns that are numeric and contain values with leading zeros lose the leading zeros when downloaded to Excel.
- Downloads all data in the request, including fields not displayed in the current view, as a Tab Delimited file. This file will open in Excel without any formatting and can then be saved as an Excel file.
- Download to data creates a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file, which includes all of the columns included in the Answers request (not just the view displayed on the screen). Formatting from the screen will not be carried over to the file.
There are two print action links on every page. One is a hyperlink located beneath each report. The other is a print icon located at the bottom of every dashboard page.
Print Individual Report to PDF
- Click on the Print hyperlink immediately below the report.
- Select PDF.
Another window will open up with the report to be printed.
- Print PDF per usual procedure.
Print Page to PDF
- Click on the Print icon at the bottom of the page.
- Select PDF. Print.
All page content, including section headings and report filters, will print to the PDF.