Weekly Wednesday Message
May 30, 2012
During summer, the Wednesday Message will be sent periodically. Whenever there is information to report, especially related to the budget, we will keep you up to date.
Commencement 2012: 3 Days, 9 Ceremonies and…
- Over 9,000 degrees awarded.
- 6,589 students walked across the stage to receive their diplomas and shake hands with President Alexander.
- 95,000 guests attended ceremonies.
- The Commencement website had 12,824 views from May 23-25; the live Commencement webcast had 11,311 views.
- 7,000 white chairs filled the Central Quad.
- 172 students, employees, alumni and friends of the university distributed programs, sold flowers and worked other vital jobs during Commencement.
Thanks to all of the faculty, staff, students and community members whose hard work made our 63rd Commencement ceremonies special for our graduates and their friends and families.
Special thanks to Vice Provost Cecile Lindsay, Academic Events staff Tammy Sung and Barbara Hall, Academic Technology Services’ Bob Rodgers and Facilities Management’s Brian McKinnon for their hard work and dedication.
Without your collective efforts, this event, which clearly demonstrates our mission as a university, would not be possible.
Enhancements Coming to the CSU 403(b) Retirement Manager System
Changes coming on June 5 will make it easier to manage and learn about your retirement benefits through Retirement Manager, a convenient, secure website that allows you to access your 403(b) Tax Sheltered Annuity retirement plan accounts 24 hours a day.
Retirement Manager allows you to learn more about your retirement savings, start/change/stop contribution amounts, read educational articles on a range of financial planning topics, and calculate what you will need to stay on track for retirement, using online financial calculators.
With the Retirement Manager upgrade you will be able to:
- Create a unique User ID, and select security questions,
- Navigate easily to important tasks related to your retirement plans,
- Quickly locate retirement plan information and investment provider contacts, and
- Access important financial topics and information about current market trends.
Effective June 5, there will also be a new dedicated customer support line for assistance with the Retirement Manager website. The Retirement Manager support line will take calls from all CSU employees regardless of investment provider selection and will provide guidance on the login process, general navigation questions, and how to use the enrollment and disbursement transaction screens.
To access Retirement Manager, simply go to www.myretirementmanager.com. For more information on the CSU 403(b) TSA program, visit the Benefits Services website or call Benefits Services at extension 5-2381.
Did You Know?
Trying to observe something about 10,000 times smaller than the width of a human hair is a challenge for scientists, but Yohannes Abate (Physics and Astronomy) has found a way.
His research got the attention of the U.S. Department of Defense, which awarded Abate and Shahab Derakhshan (Chemistry and Biochemistry) a three-year, $589,999 grant to aid their research and help prepare students for nanotechnology careers and studies either in academia or industry.
View this message online.
Please send submissions for the Wednesday Message by 5 pm Monday.