Comprehensive First Year Student Success
CSULB makes success for its diverse students a high priority. Faculty and staff work together to improve the student experience and implement programs and services that support student success. Graduation rates have risen dramatically in recent years, contributing to our university's reputation as among the "best public comprehensives in the West" and one of "America's Best," (U.S. News and World Report) and as one of "America's Best Value" universities (The Princeton Review). CSULB is committed to supporting its diverse students in their educational goals and professional aspirations. First Year Experience Student Success Initiatives include:
- Mandatory Freshmen Advising: Freshmen have mandatory advising in the summer prior to their first fall term, during their first fall term, and in the spring of their freshman year.
- The Beach Learning Community: For students with significant needs in basic math and English, this new project provides supplemental instruction, linked classes, special orientation, family outreach, and additional support.
- Math Curriculum Reform: To enhance student success, the Math Department has revamped its basic math curriculum.
- Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration: The campus orientation process for new freshmen is a collaborative project of the Divisions of Academic Affairs and Student Services.
- Learning Communities: The Division of Academic Affairs sponsors a number of learning communities associated with majors and other student interests.
- Beach Beginnings: The Division of Academic Affairs offers all incoming freshmen, including those not in learning communities, linked classes that enhance opportunities for engagement.
- Early Warning: A technology-based system detecting unsatisfactory performance is being developed.
Additional Student Success Activities
- Facilitating Graduation: CSULB is actively completing a planned series of twenty-two initiatives aimed at facilitating student graduation with progress tracked on a collaborative public web page.
- Student Success Planning: A standing committee continuously evaluates student success efforts and plans for improvements.
- Academic Advising Resources: These resources have been enhanced in Academic Advising, dramatically reducing waiting times.
- Academic Senate Task Force: The Academic Advising Task Force will consider policies pertaining to advisory roles, workload, and compensation.
- Adviser Professional Development: Sponsored by the Division of Academic Affairs on a regular basis.
- African American Student Programs: The Divisions of Academic Affairs and Student Services are supporting new initiatives of the Student African American Brotherhood, an academically based program, and Scholar-Baller, an academically based program for student athletes, to enhance academic success among African American students.
- Graduation Greenlight: CSULB makes proactive efforts to work with students nearing graduation to ensure that all requirements have been fulfilled.
- Low Course Completion Project: This project is intended to examine and improve student performance in a number of our most challenging courses.
- Writing Proficiency: Improving student writing proficiency across the university is a top priority.
- Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) Grant: The university has been awarded a federal HSI grant aimed at strengthening the institution for the benefit of Latino students and the entire student body.
- Accreditation: CSULB is currently focusing its periodic accreditation self-study on assuring the high quality of our academic programs, both graduate and undergraduate, through the assessment of student learning and on fostering a comprehensive culture of student success.