New Department RTP Policies
June 25, 2010
Update on RTP Policies
All of the colleges have passed new RTP policies and departments are making excellent progress on completing new RTP policies. In two colleges (College of Business and College of Health and Human Services), all of the departments have completed their new policies. Many other departments are close to completing their new policies.*
All departments that have not completed their new RTP policies will need to complete those policies (including voting on them at the department level and having them approved by the faculty council and the college dean) by October 15, 2010.
The April 26, 2010 memorandum, “REVISED Implementation Timeline for New RTP Policies," provides guidelines for implementing completed policies as follows:
- Faculty members hired prior to fall 2009 will have the choice to be reviewed under either the old or the new (2010) set of RTP policies until fall 2014.
- Faculty members will choose one set of policies and will not be allowed to 'mix and match' policies. That is, candidates either will be evaluated under all old department, college, and university policies or under all new department, college, and university policies.
- Faculty members will be asked to make an irrevocable, one-time choice that will govern their review process through reappointment, tenure, and/or promotion. Faculty Affairs will provide a selection form to be completed and attached to the RTP file when it is submitted to the department for review.
- Faculty members up for reappointment, tenure, or tenure and promotion in Fall 2010 will make their choice when they submit their files for review in October 2010.
- Faculty members up for Mini-Review in Spring 2011 will make their choice when they submit their files for review in February 2011.
- Promotion is optional. Therefore, faculty members up for promotion only will make their choice when they submit their files for review in October of 2010, 2011, or 2012, as appropriate. However, faculty members up for promotion only in fall 2014 or later will no longer have the option to choose their RTP policies and will automatically be under all new (2010) RTP policies.
New Timelines and Guidelines for Departments without New Department Policies (as of July 1, 2010)
The CFA leadership and CSULB have agreed to the following guidelines and timelines for new department RTP policies not yet completed:
Faculty hired prior to fall 2009 may choose either to be reviewed under:
- The old policies OR
- The new policies. For 2010-2011, faculty will default to the new University and college policies only. No department-level policy will be used. However, from 2011-2012 on, faculty will be under all three new policies: university, college, and department.
Faculty hired fall 2009 and later will be reviewed under all new policies:
- Faculty up for reappointment, tenure and/or promotion in 2010-2011 with a file due Oct 4, 2010 will be reviewed under this timeline:
- 2010-2011: default to university and college policies (no department-level policy)
- 2011-2012 and thereafter: under all three new policies (university, college, department)
- Faculty up for Mini Review with file due Feb 5, 2011
- 2010-2011 and thereafter: under all three new policies (university, college, department)
* The College of Education, University Library, and CAPS do not have department-level policies. The University RTP Policy and the College/unit RTP policy are the two governing policies.