Music - The Bob Cole Conservatory of Music
Bachelor of Music
The Bachelor of Music degree is a high-unit professional degree and requires 132 units for graduation. Music units include the core requirements and one option. Students interested in the BM program must successfully complete an audition for entrance to the program. This should be accomplished prior to entrance to the University. Students wishing to consider the BM program after they have enrolled at CSULB may not apply after they have completed more than a maximum of 96 units.
Music Education: Instrumental Music and Choral-Vocal Music Options
1. Music History and Literature:
- MUS 160 History of Music: Baroque/Classical (3)
Prerequisite: MUS 190.
- MUS 190* Listener's Approach to Music (3)
Prerequisites/Corequisites: ENGL 100 or GE Composition (Area A1) or another GE Foundation course.
- MUS 360 History of Music: Medieval/Renaissance (3)
Prerequisites: MUS 190.
- MUS 374 History of Music: 19th/20th Century (3)
Prerequisites: MUS 190, 160 or consent of instructor.
- MUS 490* Introduction to Music Cultures (3)
Prerequisite: GE Foundation requirements.
* Section by advisement, double-counts as GE - C.1
2. Music Theory:
- MUS 141A Musicianship I (2)
Corequisite: MUS 142A.
- MUS 141B Musicianship II (2)
Prerequisite: MUS 141A or satisfactory score on theory placement test. Corequisite: MUS 142B.
- MUS 142A Harmony I (3)
Corequisite: MUS 141A.
- MUS 142B Harmony II (3)
Prerequisites: MUS 141A and 142A or satisfactory score in theory placement test. Corequisite: MUS 141B.
- MUS 240 Advanced Musicianship (2)
Prerequisites: MUS 141B and 142B or satisfactory score on theory placement test.
- MUS 241 Counterpoint (3)
Prerequisites: MUS 141B and 142B.
- MUS 341 Form and Analysis (3)
Prerequisites: MUS 241 or consent of instructor.
- MUS 342 Materials of Modern Music (3)
Prerequisite: MUS 341.
3. Major Performance Organization †:
- MUS 100/300, one unit each semester in residence;
4. Music Forum:
- MUS 210A Writing About Music (1)
- MUS 210B Introduction to Basic Music Technology (1)
5. Senior Recital:
- MUS 423A Senior Recital (1)
Prerequisites: MUS 341, 342. Corequisites: MUS 329 or 429.
6. Keyboard Proficiency:
Successful completion of conservatory's piano proficiency examination (equivalent to MUS 220B)
7. Chamber Music:
Take two units from the following:
† Approved Major Performance Organizations (MUS 100, 300, 330) by area:
- Winds, Brass and Percussion: Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band,
- Strings: Symphony Orchestra
- Voice: Chamber Choir, University Choir, 49er Chorus, Opera
- Opera: Chamber Choir, University Choir, 49er Chorus, Opera
- Jazz Studies: Concert Jazz Orchestra, Studio Jazz Band, Vocal Jazz Ensemble I, Vocal Jazz Ensemble II