Master of Arts in Education
Option in Dual Language Development
The Master of Arts in Education, Option in Dual Language Development (30-33 units) focuses on bilingualism in school and societal contexts. The program, through its action research approach, seeks to develop a cadre of teacher-leaders who systematically and purposefully examine and refine their own pedagogy with respect to the instruction of language minority students. Visit the program website for program details (www.ced.csulb.edu/teacher-ed/academic/dld).
The following are required for admission to the program:
- 1. Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- 2. Minimum 2.85 overall grade point average in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units of coursework.
- 3. A valid teaching credential with BCLAD/CLAD emphasis or certification, or by consent of the program coordinator.
- 4. Demonstration of bilingual proficiency or six (6) college semester units of a language other than English, or verified equivalent.
- 5. International applicants have additional university application requirements including meeting the English language proficiency requirement. Please visit The Center for International Education (CIE) website at www.csulb.edu/cie for more information.
Candidates must apply separately to both the university and the program by posted deadlines. Applications should be submitted at the same time.
The application for Graduate Admission to the University is available online through CSUMentor (www.csumentor.edu). One complete set of official transcripts must be submitted with the university application. This set of transcripts will be used to determine grade point average eligibility. Failure to submit transcripts in a timely manner will result in a delayed review of the application.
The Dual Language Development program application must be submitted to the College of Education Graduate Studies Office (ED1-7). An application and directions can be downloaded at www.ced.csulb.edu/graduate/application-packets. The program application does not require a set of transcripts.
Successful applicants are admitted to the program with Conditional admission status.
Advancement to Candidacy - Clear Admission
Students should advance to candidacy as early as possible. They should meet with the program coordinator to plan their program no later than completing 6 units. For Advancement to Candidacy (Clear Admission status), students must:
- 1. Fulfill the campus Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).
- 2. Resolve all incomplete grades.
- 3. Maintain a 3.0 grade point average.
- 4. Submit to the Graduate Studies Office an Advancement to Candidacy form signed by the program advisor.
1. Methods of Social Science Inquiry Requirements (6 units):
Take both of the following:
- EDP 400 Introduction to Educational Research (3)
- EDCI 533 Action Research Methods: Teachers as
Prerequisite: Admission to the Curriculum and Instruction Master's Program or consent of instructor.
2. Core (15 units):
Take all of the following:
- EDCI 541 Designing Curriculum and Instruction in Primary and Second Language Settings (3)
Prerequisites: A valid California CLAD teaching credential or equivalent.
- EDRG 551B Assessment of Literacy with Bilingual Students (3)
Prerequisites: Speaking and reading competence in Spanish; consent of the instructor.
- EDCI 532 Socialization of Literacy in More Than One Language (3)
Prerequisites: Admission to the Masters of Education program, Option in Elementary Education, Dual Language Specialization, or consent of the instructor.
- LING 650 Seminar in Bilingualism (3)
Prerequisites: LING 420, 421 or consent of instructor.
Take one of the following:
- EDCI 530 Cross-cultural Education: US and Global Perspectives (3)
Prerequisite: Admission to an approved Master's program or consent of the instructor.
- SCAE 562 Agency, Resistance and Identity in Education (3)
- SCAE 564 Language and Educational Policies (3)
3. Concentration (6 units):
Take 6 units of advisor-approved electives.
4. Capstone Requirement (3-6 units):
One of the following chosen in consultation with an advisor:
- Comprehensive Examination and EDCI 695 (3 units)
- Thesis and EDCI 698 (6 units)