Advanced Studies in Education and Counseling
Programs - Master of Arts in Education
Option in Educational Technology
and Media Leadership
Serving the mission of enhancing education through the use of technology, educational technology specialists perform many functions in schools, educational institutions, and training agencies. This option prepares leaders in the field who will evaluate, design, and effectively use technology for educational purposes. Combining both theory and practice, this option is designed for individuals seeking career growth in K-12 and university settings and for those planning to pursue doctoral degrees. Visit the program website for program details (www.ced.csulb.edu/academic/masters.cfm).
The following are required for admission to the program:
- 1. Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- 2. Minimum 3.00 overall grade point average in the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units of coursework.
- 3. Upper-division coursework in statistics and research.
- 4. Upper-division coursework in the use of technology and computer applications (3 units), e.g., ETEC 411, ETEC 444, or equivalent experience
- 5. Minimum 3.0 grade point average in all prerequisite coursework (items 3 & 4 above).
- 6. International applicants have additional university application requirements including meeting the English language proficiency requirement. Please visit The Center for International Education (CIE) website at www.csulb.edu/cie for more information.
Candidates must apply separately to both the university and the program by posted deadlines. Applications should be submitted at the same time.
The application for Graduate Admission to the University is available online through CSUMentor (www.csumentor.edu). One complete set of official transcripts must be submitted with the university application. This set of transcripts will be used to determine grade point average eligibility. Failure to submit transcripts in a timely manner will result in a delayed review of the application.
A separate application to the Educational Technology and Media Leadership program must be submitted to the College of Education Graduate Studies Office (ED1-7). An application and directions can be downloaded at www.ced.csulb.edu/graduate/application-packets. The program application does not require a set of transcripts.
Successful applicants are admitted to the program with Conditional admission status.
Advancement to Candidacy - Clear Admission
Students should advance to candidacy as early as possible. For advancement to candidacy (Clear Admission status), students must:
- 1. Fulfill the campus Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).
- 2. Maintain a 3.0 grade point average in all course work.
- 3. Resolve all incomplete grades.
- 4. Complete all prerequisites and at least 6 units of the program in residence.
- 5. Submit to the Graduate Studies Office an Advancement to Candidacy form signed by the program advisor.
Students must complete a minimum of 30 units of upper-division and graduate courses, of which at least 21 units must be at the 500/600 level taken at this university. With consent of the program advisor, students may count up to 6 units of previously taken graduate courses toward the degree. However, a student who completes a 6 unit thesis or project may possibly count 9 units of previously taken courses toward the degree.
1. Core courses (21 units):
A. Research Methods:
Take the following:
- EDP 520 Quantitative Research Methods in Educ (3)
Prerequisites: EDP 419 or equivalent.
Also complete course prerequisites:
- EDP 400, EDP 419, or equivalent
B. Educational Technology:
Take all of the following:
- ETEC 510 Foundations of Educational Technology and Media (3)
Prerequisites: Either ETEC 411, 444. Equivalent experience satisfying the California Level I computer technology standard, or consent of instructor.
- ETEC 523 Information and Digital Literacies (3)
Prerequisites: ETEC 444 or equivalent experience satisfying California Level I computer technology standard.
- ETEC 525 Digital Culture and Society (3)
- ETEC 530 Leadership in Technology and Media (3)
Prerequisites: ETEC 523, or consent of instructor.
- ETEC 551 Education and the Internet (3)
Prerequisites: Either ETEC 411, 444, equivalent experience satisfying the California Level I computer technology standard, or consent of instructor.
- ETEC 570 E-Learning Design and Development (3)
Prerequisites: ETEC 523 or consent of instructor.
2. Electives (6 units): In consultation with program advisor, students will select 6 additional units. Options include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A. Educational Technology: ETEC 535, 580;
- B. Educational Psychology: EDP 595, 696;
- C. Librarianship: ELIB 530A, 530B, 550; ETEC 540;
- D. Special Education: EDSP 542;
- E. Computer Science: CECS 401E, 410E;
- F. Other courses, including those outside the College of Education, chosen in consultation with program advisor.
3. Exit requirement (3 - 6 units); Electronic portfolio with interview and one of the following chosen in consultation with the program advisor:
- A. Pass a comprehensive examination;
- B. EDP 699 (6 units) Project with written Project Report;
- C. EDP 698 Thesis (must take 6 units).