Bachelor of Science in Mathematics - Option in Statistics
This option provides a foundation in statistical methods. The courses required ensure that the student understands how the techniques are mathematically derived and how they are applied. Statistical analysis is an essential part of any scientific investigation and is a vital tool in monitoring the quality of products and services and in forecasting.
Take all the following courses:
- MATH 122 Calculus I (4)
Prerequisite: Appropriate MDPT placement or a grade of "C" or better in MATH 111 and MATH 113.
- MATH 123 Calculus II (4)
Prerequisite: A grade of "C" or better in MATH 122.
- MATH 224 Calculus III (4)
Prerequisite: A grade of "C" or better in MATH 123.
- MATH 247 Introduction to Linear Algebra (3)
Prerequisite: MATH 123.
- CECS 174 Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving (3)
Prerequisite: CECS 100 and MATH 113 (or equivalent).
Take one of the following courses:
- ENGL 101 Composition (3)
Prerequisite: ENGL 100.
- ENGL 317 Technical Communication (3)
Prerequisites: GE Foundation requirements, upper-division standing, and a previous composition course, i.e., ENGL 100, ENGL 101, ENGL 102, ENGL 300, or equivalents.
Take a minimum of 34 units of MATH or STAT courses to include the following (but not MATH 303, MATH 370A or MATH 370B):
- MATH 323 Introduction to Numerical Analysis (4)
Prerequisites: MATH 224, and a course in computer programming.
- MATH 361A Introduction to Mathematical Analysis I (3)
Prerequisites: MATH 224, and MATH 233 or MATH 247.
- STAT 381 Mathematical Statistics (3)
Prerequisites: MATH 247 and MATH 380.
- STAT 410 Regression Analysis (3)
Prerequisite: STAT 381.
- STAT 450 Multivariate Statistical Analysis (3)
Prerequisite: STAT 381; Prerequisite/Corequisite STAT 410.
- STAT 475 Data Analysis with SAS (3)
Prerequisite: STAT 381 or consent of instructor.
Three units of the elective upper-division MATH or STAT courses may be replaced by MATH 233.