Master of Arts in Linguistics
Option in Language and Culture
1. Take the 15 unit core.
2. Take the specialization courses (12 units for thesis or 18 units for comprehensive exams).
Required Courses (9 units):
- LING 533 Ethnography of Communication (3)
Prerequisite: Graduate standing.
- LING 540 Sociolinguistics (3)
Prerequisite: Nine units of linguistics or consent of instructor.
- ANTH 630 Seminar in Anthropological Linguistics (3)
Prerequisite: Consent of instructor.
Elective Courses (thesis students select one, 3 units; comprehensive exams students select three, 9 units):
- LING 425/ANTH 421, LING 470/ANTH/WGSS 475, LING 580/ANTH 570, LING 597, LING 633, LING 650
3. Culminating Experience
- LING 697 Directed Research (1 unit, for comprehensive exams students), or
- LING 698 Thesis (6 units, for thesis students)